Prof Pierre Friedlingstein
Chair, Mathematical Modelling of Climate Systems
Telephone: 01392 725279
Extension: (Streatham) 5279
Professor Pierre Friedlingstein is Chair in Mathematical Modelling of Climate Systems. His research interests are in the field of global carbon cycle and global biogeochemical cycles.
More specifically, he is interested in the interactions between the climate system and the biogeochemical cycles over time scales ranging from glacial interglacial to future IPCC-like projections. For future climate projections, he --along with colleagues--identified to positive feedback between climate change and carbon cycle.
He is also involved in land surface models and Earth System Models evaluation over the historical period and over the last Millennium. He coordinates the coupled climate carbon cycle intercomparison project (C4MIP) which is sponsored by both the International Geosphere Biosphere Programme (IGBP) and the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP).
He is a member of the Science Steering Committee of the Analysis Integration and Modeling of the Earth System (AIMES) programme of IGBP and of the Global Carbon Project (GCP) of the Earth System Science Partnership (ESSP). He is actively involved in climate assessment through his participation in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) since 1994. He is lead author of the IPCC Fifth Assessment Report.
10 Key Publications :
- Solomon, S. R. Knutti, G.K. Plattner, and P. Friedlingstein, Irreversible Climate Change Due To Carbon Dioxide Emissions, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 106, 1704-1709, 2009.
- Piao, S., P. Ciais, P. Friedlingstein, P. Peylin, M. Reichtein, S. Luyssaert, H. Margolis, J. Fang, A. Barr, A. Chen, A. Grell, D. Hollinger, T. Laurila, A. Lindroth, A. Richardson and T. Vesala, 2008, Net carbon dioxide losses of northern ecosystems in response to autumn warming, Nature, 451, 49-52
- Friedlingstein, P., P. Cox, R. Betts, L. Bopp, W. von Bloh, V. Brovkin, P. Cadule, S. Doney, M. Eby, I. Fung, B Govindasamy, J. John, C. Jones, F. Joos, T. Kato, M. Kawamiya, W. Knorr, K. Lindsay, H. D. Matthews, T. Raddatz, P. Rayner, C. Reick, E. Roeckner, K.-G. Schnitzler, R. Schnur, K. Strassmann, A. J.Weaver, C. Yoshikawa, and N. Zeng, 2006, Climate -carbon cycle feedback analysis, results from the C4MIP model intercomparison, J. Climate, 19, 3337-3353.
- Friedlingstein, P., and S. Solomon, Contributions of past and present human generations to committed warming caused by carbon dioxide, 2005, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 112, 10832-10836.
- Ciais P, Reichstein M, Viovy N, Granier A, Ogée, J, Allard, V. , Buchmann, N., Aubinet, M., Bernhofer C, Carrara, A., Chevallier F, deNoblet, N, Friend A, Friedlingstein, P., Grunwald T, Heinesch B, Keronen, P. Knohl A, Krinner, G., Loustau D, Manca G, Matteucci G, Miglietta F, Ourcival J-M, Pilegaard K, Rambal S, Seufert G, Soussana J-F, , Sanz M-J, , Schulze E-D, Vesala T, and Valentini R., 2005, Europe-wide Reduction in Primary Productivity of Europe caused caused by the Heat and Drought in 2003, Nature, 437, 529-533.
- Schimel D, House J, Hibbard K, Bousquet P, Ciais P, Peylin P, Apps M, Baker D, Bondeau A, Brasswell R, Canadell J, Churkina G, Cramer W, Denning S, Field C, Friedlingstein P, Goodale C, Heimann M, Houghton RA, Melillo J, Moore III B, Murdiyarso D, Noble I, Pacala S, Prentice C, Raupach M, Rayner P, Scholes B, Steffen W, Wirth C., 2001, Recent patterns and mechanisms of carbon exchange by terrestrial ecosystems. Nature, 414, 169-172.
- Friedlingstein, P., L. Bopp, P. Ciais, J.-L. Dufresne, L. Fairhead, H. LeTreut, P. Monfray, and J. Orr., 2001, Positive feedback of the carbon cycle on future climate change, Geophys. Res. Let., 28, 1543-1546.
- Bousquet, P., Peylin, P., Ciais, P., LeQuéré, C., Friedlingstein, P., and Tans, P.P., 2000, Regional Changes in Carbon Dioxide Fluxes of Land and Oceans Since 1980, Science, 290: 1342-1346.
- Friedlingstein, P., I.Y. Fung, E.A. Holland, J.G. John, G.P. Brasseur, D.J. Erickson, and D.S. Schimel, 1995, On the contribution of CO2 fertilization to the missing biospheric sink, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 9, 541-556.
- Friedlingstein, P., K.C. Prentice, I.Y. Fung, J.G. John, and G.P. Brasseur, 1995, Climate-Vegetation-Carbone interactions in the LGM climate, J. Geophys. Res., 100, 7203-7221.