Prof Krasimira Tsaneva-Atanasova
Professor of Mathematics for Healthcare
Telephone: 01392 723615
Extension: (Streatham) 3615Research
My main research interests fall within the area of biomathematics. The ultimate goal is to be able to propose novel applications of mathematics to enable the development of quantitative methods for healthcare and healthcare technologies. My current and future research plans predominantly focus on projects that could make a difference to experimental scientists and clinicians, and potentially society through the applications of mathematics for personalised prediction and decision in prevention, diagnosis or treatment of health related conditions. Google Scholar profile. ORCID profile.
I am always open to hearing from prospective PhD students and early career researchers who are genuinely interested and passionate to work in an interdisciplinary setting within the area of biomathematics and applications to healthcare.Background
I earned my undergraduate and MSc degrees in mathematics at the University of Plovdiv, Bulgaria from 1991 until 1996. In September 2001 I started a PhD in applied mathematics at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. After completing my PhD in October 2004 I spent 18 months as a post-doctoral fellow at the Laboratory of Biological Modelling, National Institutes of Health, USA and another 15 months as a post-doctoral fellow at the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Biology at Ecole Normale Superieure in Paris, France. I joined the Department of Engineering Mathematics at the University of Bristol in October 2007 as a lecturer and was promoted to a Reader in Applied Mathematics in 2012. I moved to the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter in July 2013 where I am a Professor of Mathematics for Healthcare. Currently I am the Associate Dean - Global in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences at UoE (2018-2021).Current Research Roles and Activities
- EPSRC Strategic Advisory Network member (since 1st April 2021).
- Director of the EPSRC Hub for Quantitative Modelling in Healthcare (EP/T017856/1, 2021-2025).
- Co-director of the University of Exeter ISSF TREE.
- Alan Turing Institute Fellow since October 2018.
- Hans Fischer Senior Fellow (since April 2019) at the Technical University of Munich (TUM) Institute for Advanced Study (IAS).
- Associate member (since February 2020) of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Institute of Biophysics and Biomedical Engineering, section Bioinformatics and Mathematical Modelling.
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (since April 2020).