Prof Dragan Savic FREng
Professor of Hydroinformatics
Telephone: 01392 723637
Extension: (Streatham) 3637
Professor Savic (FREng, FICE, FCIWEM, FIWA, MASCE, CEng) is the UK’s first Professor of Hydroinformatics having held this post at the University of Exeter since 2001. He is also the CEO of KWR Watercycle Research Institute, the Dutch drinking water companies’ collective research organisation.
His research interests cover the interdisciplinary field of Hydroinformatics, which transcends traditional boundaries of water/ environmental science and engineering, informatics/ computer science (including Artificial Intelligence, data mining and optimisation techniques) and environmental engineering. Applications are generally in the environmental engineering/science areas, including water resources management (both quality and quantity), flood management, water & wastewater systems and environmental protection & management. Some of the research topics include:
- development and application of decision-support systems, simulation and optimization models to improve understanding and provide solutions to water engineering problems;
- hydroinformatics tools and techniques and their effective application to managing risk and uncertainties associated with water systems;
- real-time management of urban water systems involving smart monitoring, telemetered systems and sensor networks;
- cross-disciplinary complex system approaches to water resource management;
- understanding of urban water distribution and wastewater systems, including technical, socio-economic and environmental issues;
- integrated assessment modelling of the water-food-energy system/nexus;
- integrated asset management methodologies for water industry applications.
Professor Savic has lectured extensively throughout UK and abroad where he has given research presentations at many institutions on all continents. He has held a Visiting Professor position at the Universities of Bari (Italy) and Belgrade (Serbia), UNESCO-IHE (Delft, The Netherlands) and Harbin Institute of Technology (Harbin, China). He has lectured in the fields of:
- urban water systems;
- system modelling and optimization;
Other Relevant Information
Professor Savic is a founder and former director of the Centre for Water Systems, an internationally recognised group for excellence in water and environmental science research. He is a Chartered Civil and Water Engineer with over thirty years of experience in research, teaching and consulting. He is elected Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, Member of the European Academy of Sciences, Fellow of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), Fellow of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) and Fellow of the International Water Association (IWA). Professor Savic served as a Head of Engineering Department in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences from 2010 until 2014.
Qualifications : Dipl. Ing. (Belgrade), MSc (Belgrade), PhD (Manitoba), all in Civil Engineering