Dr Albert (Shiuan-Hung) Chen
Senior Research Fellow
Telephone: 01392 724075
Extension: (Streatham) 4075
Dr Albert Chen is a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Water Systems (CWS), University of Exeter with over 15 years of experience in urban flood modelling. He received the PhD from National University of Taiwan (NTU), Taiwan, in 2002 with the topic of coupled 1D-sewer and 2D-overland flow modelling for urban areas. Before joining the CWS, Albert worked at the National Science and Technology Centre for Disaster Reduction (NCDR), Taiwan, on flood modelling, forecasting and hazard mitigation. He developed a real-time rainfall monitoring and warning system to notify the emergency operators 24/7 automatically when the precipitation was exceeding a threshold that might cause flooding.
Albert’s main research topics include urban drainage, hydrology and hydraulic modelling, computational fluid dynamic, flood forecasting and early warning, flood damage assessment, flood risk management, hazard mitigation and resilience strategies. He has been working on more than 30 flood-related international projects and published over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles and 60 peer-reviewed conferences papers.
He is the developer of the 2D Urban Inundation Model (UIM), which was applied to establish the national inundation potential database in Taiwan. The UIM was also coupled with the 1D sewer model SIPSON and used in the Cowes flooding case study of the UKWIR and a number of other research projects (FRMRC Phase 1&2, SWERVE, and EA 2D Model benchmarking). Albert has extensive networking with international partners. He was a visiting scholar at Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Germany) and University of Messina (Italy). He also collaborated closely with global major consulting and insurance companies on different projects.
Albert has recently finished the EPSRC CADDIES project that developed a rapid flood model, including surface water and storm sewer, for urban environment using cellular automaton. He was also involved in the EU FP7 CORFU project that focused on the urban flood hydraulic modelling, impact assessment, and resilience strategies for future urban growth, socio-economic development, and climate change scenarios in European and Asian cities.
Albert is also the coordinator of the Urban Flood Modelling and Risk Management Working Group, IAHR/IWA Joint Committee on Hydroinformatics, and an Associate Editor of Urban Water Journal.
- Keynote speaker and expert debate panel, FloodExpo 2017
- University of Exeter Above and Beyond Silver Award, 2017
- OpenDataHack WINNER - GET CREATIVE challenge, ECMWF, 2017
- The First Winner team of Flood Hack, ECMWF, 2016
- University of Exeter Merit Award of year 2012/13/14
- Outstanding Reviewer of Year 2012, Journal of Hydroinformatics
- University of Exeter Contribution point of year 2011/12
- University of Exeter Merit Award of year 2010/11
- The ERES (European Real Estate Society)/JPR (Journal of Property Research) Award 2011 for the Best Paper in Real Estate Economics
- Graduate Students & Post-Doctoral Researchers Study Abroad Program, 2005, National Science Council, Taiwan