All our departments hold Athena SWAN Bronze awards, and Mathematics and Computer Science also holds a Silver award.
We are committed to undertaking research that will help to tackle some of the biggest problems of the 21st century: modelling climate change, sustainable urban water supply, malaria diagnosis, new optical imaging techniques to treat brain disease, and bomb-proof materials.
Much of our research is interdisciplinary, with academics from across the College collaborating to research topics in more depth. The College plays a pivotal role in four of the five key interdisciplinary research themes within the University's Science Strategy: climate change and sustainable futures, extrasolar planets, functional materials and systems biology. We will also be actively involved in the interdisciplinary research led by the Environment and Sustainability Institute (ESI), which is based on our Cornwall Campus near Falmouth.
Our research is funded by the Research Councils; charities and through multiple industry collaborations.
Research centres and groups
- Centre for Energy and the Environment
- Centre for Future Clean Mobility
- Centre for Water Systems
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Metamaterials (XM2)
- Exeter Technologies Group (Materials and Manufacturing)
- Graphene Centre
- Biomedical Engineering
- Computational Geomechanics
- Computational Engineering
- Civil and Structures
- Dynamics and Control
- Energy Harvesting
- Nano Engineering Science and Technology Group
- Materials and Manufacturing Engineering
- Renewable Energy
- Vibration Engineering
- Water and Environment Group
- Centre for Biomedical Modelling and Analysis
- Mathematics and the Environment
- Centre for Predictive Modelling in Healthcare
- Exeter Climate Systems