Telephone: 01392 727467
Extension: (Streatham) 7467
Skye completed her BSc Hons in Zoology at the University of Aberdeen, with a final year project looking at the dilution effect of Bartonella in rodents in Madagascar. She attained her Masters by research at the Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, St Kitts, with a project looking at the proteome of Leishmania exosomes. Skye completed a taught Masters at the University of Glasgow, conducting a research project on Toxoplasma proteins involved in cell invasion.
Now working on her PhD under Dr. Peter Petrov, Dr Mark van der Giezen, Prof. Peter Winlove within the Biomedical Physics Group at the University of Exeter. She looks at the effect of toxins and pathogen-related compounds on human cell membranes by, for example, looking at membrane elasticity and electrical potentials. This PhD is funded by the EPSRC.
- Marshall,S., Kelly, P. H., Singh, B. K., Pope, R.M., Kim, P., Zhanbolat, B., Wilson, M. E. and Yao, C., 2018. Extracellular release of virulence factor major surface protease via exosomes in Leishmania infantum promastigotes. Parasites and Vectors, 11(1), p. 355.
- Castillo-Alcala, F., Marshall, S., Beeler-Marfisi, J., Beierschmitt, A., Scorpio, D., and Yao, C., 2016. First case of canine leishmaniasis on the island of St. Kitts, West Indies. Veterinary pathology: Regional Studies and Reports, 6, pp. 39-41.
- 2016 - Pres. Doctor of Philosophy in Physics (PhD) - University of Exeter
- 2015 - 2016 Masters in Infection Biology (MSc) - University of Glasgow
- 2014 - 2015 Master of Science by research (MRes) - Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, St Kitts
- 2010 - 2014 Bachelor of Science (BSc Hons) - University of Aberdeen
Contributions to the Community
- Write club - Facilitate a writing club funded by the doctoral college (Researcher-led initiative) once a week for PGRs and ECRs
- International Women's Day 2018 - Worked with a team to organise the event and compered the event on the day
- Physics outreach - Completed a lab demonstration and advice session to year 12 students on the Exeter Physics Progression Programme
- Demonstrating - Demonstrated for Top of the Bench annual schools' chemistry competition 2017. Demonstrate regularly for undegraduate labs in Biology.