Prof Julian Moger
Associate Professor in Biophotonics
Telephone: 01392 724181
Extension: (Streatham) 4181
My research is in the field of Biophotonics – the interface between Biology and Photonics that deals with the interaction between light and biological systems. My enthusiasm for Biophotonics began with my PhD in 1999 where I developed Doppler Optical Coherence Tomography for imaging capillary blood flow. As a Postdoctoral researcher I worked closely with the pharmaceutical industry to develop spectroscopic techniques for high-throughput screening of drug compounds. My research now focuses on the development and application of nonlinear optical microscopy to tackle compelling problems related to human health.
I currently lead the Nonlinear Biophotonics Research within the Biomedical Physics Group at Exeter. Compared to conventional linear excitation, nonlinear processes offer many advantages for biological imaging; the near-IR excitation extends the depth penetration into tissues with minimal photodamage and the nonlinear signal dependence provides intrinsic 3D optical sectioning. Moreover, utilizing the intrinsic nonlinear optical responses of selected biomolecules, it is possible to derive label-free biochemical contrast of living systems.
I have established a state-of-the-art nonlinear imaging and spectroscopy laboratory, which is strongly supported by staff with expertise in both the development and biological applications of nonlinear optics. Fundamental research in my laboratory supported by the EPSRC and BBSRC is successfully being translated into industry. I am working in close partnership with industry to apply Nonlinear Biophotonic techniques to solve problems pertaining to commercial R&D.
Education and Employment
- 2014 - Associate Professor in Biophotonics, University of Exeter
- 2009 - 2014 Senior Lecturer, University of Exeter
- 2005 - 2009 Lecturer, University of Exeter
- 2003 - 2005 Research Fellow, University of Exeter
- 2002 - 2003 Research Assistant, University of Exeter
- 1999 - 2002 PhD in Physics, University of Exeter
- 1999 - 1995 MPhys in Physics with Medical Applications, University of Exeter
Externally Funded Research Projects
- "CONTRAST facility: clinical coherent Raman scattering facility"
EPSRC EP/S009957/1 £1,035,354, 9/2018-10/2020 (PI)
- "Raman Nanotheranostics - RaNT - developing the targeted diagnostics and therapeutics of the future by combining light and functionalised nanoparticles"
EPSRC EP/R020965/1, £5,752,646, 1/2018 - 12/2022 (Co-I)
- "Next Generation Optical Analysis for Agrochemical Research & Development"
EPSRC iCASE award with Syngenta, £116,670, 10/2015-10/2019 (PI)
- "Exploiting seed coat properties to improve uniformity and resilience in brassica vigour"
BBSRC, BB/M017915/1, £277,969, 4/2015-04/2019 (PI)
- "Industry R&D Applications of Frequency Modulated SRS Imaging
Unilever, £50,000, 1/2015-7/2015 (PI)
- "Functional role(s) of oestrogen signalling on neuronal progenitor cell development and fate in the brain"
BBSRC, BB/L020637/1, £462,043, 7/2014-08/2017 (Co-I)
- "The Delivery of 150 kDa Antibodies to the Brain"
EPSRC EP/L024772/1, £282,040, 06/2014-06/2017 (PI)
- "Enabling Technologies for Advnaced Multiphoton Microscopy"
BBSRC BB/M003841/1, £142,275, 04/2014 - 06/2017 (PI)
- “Frequency-Modulated Stimulated Raman Scattering Microscopy for Label-Free Functional Imaging In-Planta”
BBSRC BB/K013602/1, £149,000, 10/2013-10/2015, (PI).
- “Toxicology of nanopolymer dispersions. A case study of aqueous acrylic ester copolymers”
BASF, £101,000, 01/2013 – 01/2014, (Co-I).
- “Imaging drug diffusion in living skin equivalent membranes using stimulated Raman scattering microscopy”
GlaxoSmithKline, £36,000 12/2012-12/2013 (PI).
- “Nanoenabled Peptide Pills: Unlocking the Potential of Therapeutic Peptides”
EPSRC EP/K502339/1, £100,000, 09/2012-03/2014, (PI).
- “Imaging drug deposition in skin and nail by coherent Raman microscopy”
Leopharma £20,000, 06/2012-062013 (PI).
- “Exploiting the opportunities offered by coherent Raman scattering”
Syngenta, £50,000, 05/2012-05/2013 (PI).
- “Stimulated Raman Scattering Imaging of anti-dandruff actives in skin”
Unilever, £24,000, 03/2012-06/2013 (PI).
- “Development of plant-based hydrogen peroxide YFP nanosensors targeted to multiple sub-cellular locations”
BBSRC BB/I020004/1, £198,000, 12/2012-12/2014 (Co-I)
- “Analysis of Lipids in Fungi using Coherent Raman Scattering”
Syngenta, £22,000 12/2011-03/2012 (PI)
- “In-Planta Label-Free Imaging of Agrochemicals using Stimulated Raman Scattering Microscopy”
Syngenta, £100,000, 11/2010-11/2011, (PI)
- “The impact of spectrin-lipid interactions on membrane biophysics”
EPSRC EP/H007458/1, £446,000, 09/2010-09/2013 (Co-I)
- “Development of Heterodyne Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering Microscopy for Monitoring Nanoparticle Drug Delivery”
EPSRC EP/G028362/1, £214,000, 09/2009-09/2012 (PI)
- “Mechanisms of Mechano-Transduction in Pacinian Corpscles,”
Leverhulme Trust, £150,000, 10/2009-10-2012, (Co-I)
- “Technologies for the Treatment of Brain Diseases”
EPSRC EP/G061564/1, £228,000, 03/2009-03/2012, (PI)
- “Detection of Biomarkers by Surface-Enhanced Coherent anti-Stokes Raman Scattering for Application in Microdose Drug Trials”
GlaxoSmithKline, £110,000 10/2006-10/2007, (PI)
- OSA Optics in the Life Sciences 2015, Vancouver (CA)
- Microscience and Microscopy Congress (MMC) 2014, Manchester (UK)
- Frontiers in Laser Imaging 2013, Colorado (USA)
- Photonex London 2013, UCL London (UK)
- SCI Symposium on Uptake Across Leaf Cuticle and Skin 2012, London (UK)
- Royal Society of Chemistry – Analytical Biosciences, Meeting Liverpool 2012 (UK)
- Institute of Physics Workshop on Optical Techniques in Biology 2011 (UK)
- Conference on Multiphoton Microscopy 2011, Cambridge (UK)
- Annual Conference of the Controlled Release Society 2011, Portland (USA)
- CARS Explorer 2011, Marseille (FR)
- Photonex 2011, Birmingham (UK)
- Rank Prize Symposium on Ultrafast Biophotonics 2010, Grasmere (UK)
- Drug Discovery 2009, Liverpool (UK)
- British Council Symposium on Biomechanics and Tissue Engineering 2008, Telaviv (Israel)
- Institute of Physics Workshop on Optical Techniques in Biology 2007, London (UK)
Contributions to the Research Community
- Editorial Borad Member: Scientific Reports
- Editor: ECONOS Special Issues of Journal of Raman Spectroscopy
- Management Committee Member for EU COST Network MNP1102
- Working Group Leader for EU COST Network MNP1102
- Steering Committee for the European Conference on Nonlinear Optical Spectroscopy 2013
- Lead Organiser of European Workshop on CARS Microscopy 2012, Exeter (UK)
- Lead Organiser 12th European Conference on Nonlinear Optical Spectroscopy 2013, Exeter (UK)