Prof Jacopo Bertolotti
Associated Professor in Physics
My research stem from a deep curiosity about the effect of disorder and randomness on the world around us.Disorder is often seen as a necessary evil. Something to be minimized whenever possible and tolerated when there is no other choice. Yet the very presence of disorder give rise to a rich physics that can be understood and exploited.
In particular my research focus on the properties of light (and more in general, wave) transport in disorder and "complex" media. From Anderson localization to random lasers. From Lévy flights and superdiffusion to wavefront shaping. This research find application in biological imaging, where turbidity is a huge limiting factor, but also have an impact on more fundamental fields.
Education and Employment
- 2004: Italian Degree ("Laurea") in Physics at the University of Florence with a thesis entitled "Study on light localization in 1D disorderedsystems"
- 2008: PhD in Physics at the University of Florence (Italy) with a thesis entitled "Light transport beyond diffusion"
- 2008 - 2010: Postdoctoral fellow at the European Laboratory for Non-Linear Spectroscopy (LENS)
- 2010 - 2012: Research fellow at the University of Twente (The Netherlands)
- 2013: Postoctoral fellow at the Institut Langevin, ESPCI ParisTech (France)
- 2013 - 2016: Lecturer in Physics, University of Exeter
- 2016 - 2020: Senior Lecturer in Physics, University of Exeter.
- 2020 - present: Associated Professor in Physics, University of Exeter
- ONS'19, Anacapri (Italy), 9-11 September 2019.
- TOPIM-TECH, Chania (Greece), 1-6 July 2019.
- Theo Murphy international scienti[1c]c meeting "Light transport and imaging through complex media", 22-23 January 2018.
- IDMRCS8, Wisła (Poland), 23-28 July 2017.
- DINAMO 2017, Siglufjörður (Iceland), 14-19 May 2017.
- JSAP Spring Meeting 2016, Tokyo (Japan), 19-22 March 2016.
- SPIE Photonics Europe, Brussels (Belgium), 3-7 April 2016.
- ISFAP 2015, Bandung (Indonesia), 8-10 October 2015. (Keynote talk)
- PPNEC 2015, Bad Honnef, Germany, 19-23 April 2015.
- BiOS/Photonics West, San Francisco, California (USA), 7-12 February 2015.
- Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS), Guangzhou (China), 25-28 August 2014.
- International Workshop on Holography and related technologies (IWH2013), Kitami, Hokkaido (Japan), 15-17 October 2013.
- Computational Optical Sensing and Imaging (COSI), Arlington, Virginia (USA), 12-16 May 2013.
- European Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO/Europe), Munich, Germany, 23-27 June 2013.
- MESA+ Colloquium, Enschede, The Netherlands, 2012.