Dr Janet Anders
Telephone: 01392 724083
Extension: (Streatham) 4083
I am a theoretical physicist and work in quantum information science. My research focuses on thermodynamic aspects of quantum systems; including thermodynamic processes in the quantum regime, quantum non-equilibrium processes, the link between information theory and thermodynamics (e.g. Landauer’s principle and Maxwell’s demon), and entanglement properties of thermal quantum states.
I joined the University of Exeter in 2013 as a Lecturer, after previously working at UCL for 6 years.
I am a member of the Electromagnetic and Acoustic Materials group.
Further details of my research projects can be found on the group webpage.
Funded Research Projects
Projects for which I am/was the Principal Investigator:
- "Thermodynamics in the quantum regime", EU COST office, 29/4/2013-30/4/2017, EUR520000
- "Dynamics of information in quantum many-body systems", Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Research Fellowship, 1/12/09-30/11/13, £459055.
- “Secure quantum cryptography with state tomography", Gottfried-Daimler-und-Karl-Benz-Foundation PhD scholarship, 2004-2007, ca. EUR18000.
- “Quantum and classical resources in measurement-based quantum computation” at the Theo Murphy meeting on Heterotic computing, Royal Society, Chicheley Hall, UK, Nov. 2013
- “Nanoscale temperature measurements using non-equilibrium Brownian dynamics of a levitated nanosphere”, LCN, London, UK, Oct. 2013
- “Thermodynamics of discrete quantum processes” at the Mathematical Challenges in Quantum Information workshop, Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK, Oct. 2013
- “Thermodynamics of discrete quantum processes” at the Mathematical Horizons for Quantum Physics workshop, IMS, Singapore, Sep. 2013
- “Equilibrium and non-equilibrium dynamics in the quantum regime", University of Oxford, UK, Oct. 2012
- “Landauer's erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum regime", Workshop on kT log 2 - Quantum Fluctuations and Information, Cuenca, Spain, May 2012
- “Landauer’s erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum domain”, University of Royal Holloway, UK, March 2012
- “Landauer’s erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum domain”, University of Bristol, UK, March 2012
- “The power of entanglement: Computation, Phase transitions and the 2nd law”, Duke University, Durham, USA, Dec. 2011
- “The power of quantum correlations in physics and computation”, NCCU, Durham, USA, Dec. 2011
- “Landauer's erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum regime", Workshop on Quantum Information and Foundations of Thermodynamics, Zurich, Switzerland, Aug. 2011
- “Landauer's principle in the quantum domain", Workshop on New Trends in Quantum Dynamics & Entanglement, ICTP in Trieste, Italy, Feb. 2011
- “Ancilla-driven quantum computation and Landauer’s principle”, University of Cambridge, UK, Feb. 2011
- “Ancilla-driven quantum computation and Landauer’s principle”, University of Leeds, UK, Dec. 2010
- “Ancilla-driven universal quantum computation", QuPa meeting, Paris, France, May 2010
- “Quantum correlations, computation and phase transitions”, VUB&ULB, Brussels, Belgium, April 2010
- “Entanglement in many-body systems", 46th Karpacz Winter School of Theoretical Physics, Ladek Zdroj, Poland, Feb. 2010
- “Quantum Correlations”, University of Bonn, Germany, Nov. 2009
- “Quantum correlations, computation and (quantum) phase transitions”, MPI PKS, Dresden, Germany, Oct. 2009
- “Quantum correlations, computation and (quantum) phase transitions”, QuAmp conference 2009, Leeds, UK, Sep. 2009
- “The computational power of correlations", Workshop on Complexity Resources in Physical Computation, Oxford, UK, Aug. 2009
- “Coupled systems and their correlation properties", First workshop on Quantum Technology in Biological Systems, Singapore, Jan. 2009
- “Thermal state entanglement in harmonic lattices", Workshop on Non-equilibrium thermodynamics at the nanoscale, Augsburg, Germany, Sep. 2008
- “Macroscopic Entanglement, critical temperature and phase transitions", Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK, Dec. 2007
- “Macroscopic Entanglement and Phase Transitions", 38th Symposium on Mathematical Physics on Quantum Entanglement & Geometry, Torun, Poland, June 2006
- “Detecting entanglement with a thermometer", White Rose Meeting on Quantum Information Processing, York, UK, Nov. 2005
- Scientific adviser and interviewee for BBC Four TV programme “Order and Disorder: Information” (2012)
- Showcasing optical levitation experiment and discussing physics with festival goers, Cheltenham Science Festival (2012) and Oxford Science Festival (2012)
- Judge on panel for Royal Society Book Prize 2010
Contributions to the Community
- Chair of European COST network “Thermodynamics in the quantum regime” 2013 - 2017
- Chair of Juno committee for good practice at UCL Physics & Astronomy 2009 - 2011
- Reviewer for research journals in physics, mathematics and computer science
- Reviewer for EPSRC
Deutsche Physikalische Gemeinschaft (DPG) and Institute of Physics (IoP).
Prizes and Honours
- Visiting Fellowship of the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK (2013)
- Wilhelm und Else Heraeus Prize for outstanding graduation (2004)