Miss Anna Laws
Telephone: 01392 725519
Extension: (Streatham) 5519I study the structure and composition of dust in protoplanetary disks, the birthplaces of planets, using both observations and radiative transfer modelling. So far I have mostly been reducing and analysing data from the Gemini Planet Imager, where we are conducting a survey of over 30 stellar objects with circumstellar material. I also collaborate with Prof. John Monnier and his team at University of Michigan, having visited for a long-term attachment in spring 2018. I am currently co-chair of the Women in Physics network where we have regular meetings to discuss issues faced by women in physics and academia.
Relevant publications:"Multiple Spiral Arms in the Disk around Intermediate-mass Binary HD 34700A" - Monnier, Harries, Bae, Setterholm, Laws et al. 2019, ApJ, 872, 122
- 2.5minute Flash Talk - Early Career Researcher Network Conference 2019, Exeter (Feb. 2019)
- "The Structure of Protoplanetary Discs" - CEMPS PGR Conference, Exeter (Jan. 2019)
- "The Structure of Protoplanetary Discs" - BBECss Student Seminar, Bristol (Nov. 2018)
- "Polarized light scattered from YSOs seen with the Gemini Planet Imager" (Poster) - SPF2 Conference (Star and Planet Formation 2), AZ, U.S.A. (Mar. 2018)
Responsibilities at Exeter:
- Co-chair of the Exeter Women in Physics network (2019–Present)
- Organising committee member of CEMPS PGR Conference (2018)
Outreach:I frequently get involved with outreach to the general public and local schools. Recently I have been involved with community stargazing nights around Exeter.
University of Southampton, "MPhys Astrophysics with Year Abroad" (2017).
Master's project was completed at Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, U.S.A. (2017).