Dr Alex Corbett
Senior Lecturer in Fluorescence Microscopy (E&R)
Telephone: 01392 723358
Extension: (Streatham) 3358
I am a lecturer in fluorescence microscopy and joined the Biomedical Physics group in January 2016. My research investigates the application of advanced photonics techniques to medical imaging. Specifically I am interested in the development of new microscopy tools that can improve the specificity and spatiotemporal resolution of biomedical image data. Current projects include the rapid acquisition of three-dimensional data sets of excitable tissues and the development of coherent optical methods for dye-free optical imaging. I am also interested in the development of quantitative methods in biomedical imaging, including the development of new calibration standards to place specific bounds on the accuracy of image data.
Education and Employment
• 2020 - Senior Lecturer, University of Exeter
• 2016 - 2020 Lecturer, University of Exeter
• 2014 - 2015 Research Fellow, University of Oxford
• 2013 - 2013 Senior Engineer, Canon Information System Research Australia.
• 2010 - 2012 Research Associate, University of Oxford
• 2007 - 2010 Senior Engineer, Light Blue Optics (spin-out)
• 2003 - 2008 PhD in Optical Engineering, University of Cambridge
• 1998 - 2002 MSci Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
- Start | End | Scheme | Awarding body | PI/Co-I | FEC | REF Split | Grant Number
- Nov-19 | May-21 | Core Capital 2019 | EPSRC | Co-I | £269,363.00 | £76,832.40 | EP/T023635/1
- Jul-19 | Feb-20 | Impact Acceleration | EPSRC | PI | £54,243.00 | £32,735.00 | N/A
- Nov-18 | Oct-19 | Commercialisation | IMPACT LAB | PI | £15,000.00 | £15,000.00 | N/A
- Jun-18 | Sep-20 | First Grant | EPSRC | PI | £125,000.00 | £100,928.00 | EP/R021252/1
- Jun-18 | Sep-20 | Capital Equipment Fund | CEMPS | PI | £48,000.00 | £48,000.00 | N/A
- May-18 | Jul-18 | Proof of Concept | Open innovation | PI | £18,639.00 | £6,329.00 | N/A
- Nov-16 | May-17 | ICURe | SETSquared | PI | £50,000.00 | £32,000.00 | N/A
- Nov-16 | Jul-17 | Open Innovation | HEFCE | PI | £14,820.00 | £14,820.00 | N/A
- Feb-16 | Apr-16 | Equip grant | CEMPS | PI | £15,000.00 | £15,000.00 | N/A
• Burton RAB, Klimas A, Ambrosi CM, Tomek J, Corbett A, Entcheva E, Bub G. (2015) “Optical control of excitation waves in cardiac tissue”, Nature Photonics, volume 9, no. 12, pages 813-816, DOI:10.1038/nphoton.2015.196.
• Corbett AD, Burton RAB, Bub G, Salter PS, Tuohy S, Booth MJ, Wilson T. (2014) "Quantifying distortions in two-photon remote focussing microscope images using a volumetric calibration specimen", Frontiers in Physiology, volume 5, DOI:10.3389/fphys.2014.00384.
• Botcherby EJ, Corbett A, Burton RAB, Smith CW, Bollensdorff C, Booth MJ, Kohl P, Wilson T, Bub G. (2013) Fast Measurement of Sarcomere Length and Cell Orientation in Langendorff-Perfused Hearts Using Remote Focusing Microscopy, Circulation Research, volume 113, no. 7, pages 863-870, DOI:10.1161/CIRCRESAHA.113.301704.
• Reeve JE, Corbett AD, Boczarow I, Kaluza W, Barford W, Bayley H, Wilson T, Anderson HL. (2013) "Porphyrins for Probing Electrical Potential Across Lipid Bilayer Membranes by Second Harmonic Generation", Angewandte Chemie International Edition, volume 52, no. 34, pages 9044-9048, DOI:10.1002/anie.201304515.
• Reeve JE, Corbett AD, Boczarow I, Wilson T, Bayley H, Anderson HL. (2012) "Probing the Orientational Distribution of Dyes in Membranes through Multiphoton Microscopy", Biophysical Journal, volume 103, no. 5, pages 907-917, DOI:10.1016/j.bpj.2012.08.003.