PhD PROJECT APPLICATIONS FOR 2020
Application deadline 31 Dec 2019.
We currently have fully funded and self-funded projects available for start in 2020 (September or earlier if applicable).
Applications are made to the Metamaterials programme for a PhD in Physics/Engineering. We invite candidates to specify their project(s) of interest at the time of application.
Following discussions at interview, projects will be allocated to successful candidates when the studentship offer is made.
Fully funded projects
Fees, stipend and research/training budget are provided by the CDT with sponsorship of an industrial partner:
- (*) All-dielectric beam control using dynamically-tuneable metasurfaces (3449)
- (†) Chalcogenide-based memory and logic for flexible electronics applications (3447)
- (†) Design and Manufacture of Broadband 3D Multilayer Metamaterials for Microwave and mm-wave Application (3444)
- (†) Dynamically-tuneable optical metasurfaces for laser implosion fusion applications (3450)
- (†) Experimental topics in the manipulation of sound using metamaterials and metasurfaces (3441)
- (*) Leaky Wave Acoustics (3456)
- (*) RF and mm-wave imaging using optical modulation (3448)
(*) Projects marked with an asterisk are limited to UK applicants only.
(†) Projects marked with a dagger are limited to UK and EU applicants only.
The following projects are open to applicants of all nationalities, but fees and living expenses must be covered by the applicant:
- Evaluation of spin-orbit torques in thin film magnetic materials and their use in driving topological structures
- "Hands-on" molecules: using microwave metamaterials as analogues of molecular systems
Information for international applicants
Most non-EEA students coming to study in the UK will need a Tier 4 visa - the UK's main 'student' visa category. Your Tier 4 visa will allow you to stay in the UK for the whole of your course and comes with both privileges and restrictions.
As outlined in the project description (see links above).
Shortlisting and the first interview normally takes place within 2 weeks of an individual's application, with a decision/offer made at the conclusion of the process. It is therefore advisable to apply as soon as possible. The application process is detailed in the project descriptions linked above.