FINAL CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: RECRUITMENT CLOSES on 31 Dec 2019.
Our next cohort will commence their PhD research and training programme in 2019/20. Applications are made to the PhD programme as a whole, not to individual projects. However, we invite candidates to specify and discuss their interest in a specific project or multiple projects as part of the application process. Following discussions at interview, projects will be allocated to successful candidates when the studentship offer is made.
The following studentships have funding attached to the project (fees, stipend and research/training budget) and benefit from the sponsorship of an industrial sponsor.
- (*) All-dielectric beam control using dynamically-tuneable metasurfaces (3449)
- (†) Chalcogenide-based memory and logic for flexible electronics applications (3447)
- (†) Design and Manufacture of Broadband 3D Multilayer Metamaterials for Microwave and mm-wave Application (3444)
- (†) Dynamically-tuneable optical metasurfaces for laser implosion fusion applications (3450)
- (†) Experimental topics in the manipulation of sound using metamaterials and metasurfaces (3441)
- (*) Leaky Wave Acoustics (3456)
- Nanoscale 3D printing of next generation photonic devices (3443)
- (*) RF and mm-wave imaging using optical modulation (3448)
(*) Projects marked with an asterisk are limited to UK applicants only.
(†) Projects marked with a dagger are limited to UK and EU applicants only.
Information for international applicants
Studentships awarded to applicants from outside of the UK/EU will cover fees and RTSG only. The applicant will be expected to fund his/her own living expenses and the remaining fees for international students. You may be eligible for a 2019 Commonwealth PhD Scholarship; please note that the application deadline for the scholarship is 28th August 2019, and you must ensure you meet the full criteria.
Most non-EEA students coming to study in the UK will need a Tier 4 visa - the UK's main 'student' visa category. Your Tier 4 visa will allow you to stay in the UK for the whole of your course and comes with both privileges and restrictions.
Application deadline: 31 December 2019.
Application criteria: As outlined in the project description.
Shortlisting and the first interview normally takes place within 2 weeks of an individual's application, with a decision/offer made at the conclusion of the process. It is therefore advisable to apply as soon as possible. The application process is detailed in the project descriptions linked above.