Dr Houry Melkonian
Senior Lecturer in Mathematics
Telephone: 01392 722315
Extension: (Streatham) 2315
I obtained a BSc (Hons.) in Mathematics (2006), a Diploma in Mathematical Analysis (2008), a MSc in Functional Analysis (Research based, 2010) at the University of Aleppo, a MSc in Applied Mathematical Sciences (Taught and Research, 2012), a PhD in Mathematics (2017) at Heriot-Watt University where I worked with Dr. Lyonell Boulton on my Thesis: "Bases Properties of Sequences of Dilated Periodic Functions in Banach and Hilbert Spaces" .
From October 2014 until May 2018, I held the position of Associate Lecturer in Mathematics at the Edinburgh International College (EIC) of Napier University. From November 2014 until June 2018 (after the successful completion of the Learning and Development Skills programme (LEADS) accredited by the UK Higher Education Academy), I had the role of an Approved Exam Marker within the Department of Mathematics at Heriot-Watt University's different campuses (Edinburgh, Dubai and China). From September 2013 until September 2017, I was appointed as an Academic Teacher in Mathematics at the International Study Centre of the University of Strathclyde. From June 2017 until September 2017 I held the role of a Curriculum and a VLE Developer in Mathematics at the International Study Centre of Durham University for the Pre-Masters Programme in Business, Economics, Accounting and Finance. As of July 2018, I became a Lecturer in Mathematics at the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter.
I am research active in Education Pedagogy as well as in areas of pure mathematics, i.e. harmonic analysis, functional analysis, operator theory, several complex variables and spaces of analytic functions.
Awards and Recognitions
- College of EMPS Associate Dean of Education fund - Leading an Internship to design ''STEM Days'' to support, inspire and ecourage school/college girls to study science.
- Co-leading ''Comptetion at Exeter about Notable Woemn in Mathematics'' - Joint project UK-NL
- Exeter Education Incubator Fellow 2020 - Leading project on ''Teaching Mathematics through the use of Visual Arts at Primary Schools''
- Edinburgh Mathematical Scoiety (EMS) research grant to support the research about ''Historical Archive of the NBFAS'' - March 2019 - present
- North British Mathematical Seminar (NBFAS) support to build up a historical archive for the development of the NBFAS, Aug 2018 - present;
- Global Platform Research Scholarship awarded by Heriot-Watt University, Oct 2013 - Oct 2015;
- Ministry of Higher Education Scholarship awarded by the University of Aleppo, Sep 2011 - Sep 2012;
- The London Mathematical Society (LMS) prize of the best talk, LMS-Graduate Student Meeting; BMA House, London, Nov 2016
- FHEA - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in UK, March 2021 - Present
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in UK, Feb 2015 - Present
- Curriculum (Re) Design of the SPARK programme by the University of Strathclyde. Credit awarded 2016
- Building a Successful Research Career of the SPARK programme by the University of Strathclyde. Credit awarded 2017
- Learning to Teach Online by UNSW Sydney (The University of New South Wales) on Coursera. Certificate earned on May 2, 2019
- European Women in Mathematics (EWM), Sep 2017 - Present
- London Mathematical Society (LMS), Nov 2016 - Present
- British Society for the History of Mathematics (BSHM), Sep 2016 - Present
- Edinburgh Mathematical Society (EMS), Sep 2012 - Present
- American Mathematical Society (AMS), Jan 2016 - Present
3 MINUTES TO READInspiring the next generation of female STEM students