Dr Yang Liu
Telephone: 01392 724654
Extension: (Streatham) 4654
Dr Yang Liu obtained his BEng degree in Automation from Hunan University, Changsha, China in 2003, MSc degree in Control Systems from the University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK in 2005, and PhD degree in Control from Staffordshire University, Stafford, UK in 2010.
After his PhD study, he joined the Centre for Applied Dynamics Research in the University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK as a postdoctal Research Fellow working for the project of Resonance Enhanced Drilling. His work involved control system design, drilling control and optimization, rock characteristics identification, and experimental implementation. Between October 2013 and August 2016, Dr Yang Liu worked in the School of Engineering in the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, UK as a Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering.
Since late August 2016, Dr Liu joined the University of Exeter as a lecturer in Engineering. His current research interests include nonlinear dynamics and control, vibro-impact dynamics, control of multistability, bifurcation analysis, experiment, and control of underactuated systems.
- Research and application of an advanced capsule robot for pipeline systems of modern agriculture, Science & Technology Department of Sichuan Province, China, Co-PI, ¥200,000, 01/01/18-01/01/2020
- Controlling multistability in vibro-impact systems: theory and experiment, EPSRC (EP/P023983/1), PI, £101,147, 01/10/17-30/06/19 (Link)
- Complex dynamics and bifurcation mechanisms of non-smooth systems with multiple discontinuous boundaries, National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No 11672257), Co-PI, ¥560,000, 01/01/17-31/12/20
- Control of multistable dynamical systems with applications in oil and gas industry, the Carnegie PhD scholarship, PI, £54,159, 01/10/15-31/03/19
- Mathematical modelling and optimisation of a downhole anti stick-slip tool for reduction of torsional vibrations, ETP PhD Studentship collaborated with Tomax Ltd., Co-PI, £82,423, 01/10/14-31/03/18
- Agri-Tech in China: Newton Network+, Pathfinder Awards, PI, £4,914, 04/17
- Design, modelling and implementation of a capsule system for pipeline pigging inspection, IMechE Group Project Award, £2,500, 01/10/15-31/03/16 (News 1, News 2)
- Analysis and control of a vibro-impact capsule system, Research Project of State Key Laboratory of Mechanical System and Vibration (Ref: MSV201401), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, PI, £10,000, 01/01/14–31/12/15
- Development of an experimental test rig for a vibro-impact capsule system, the Carnegie Trust Small Research Grant (No 31841), PI, £2,140, 01/08/14-31/07/15