Dr Sam Hughes
Associate Lecturer in Geology & Surveying / Deputy Director of Education
Telephone: 01326 259410
What I do at CSM - Associate Lecturer (E&S)
My role at CSM as an associate lecturer (education and scholarship) includes teaching and supervision on a variety of our undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes within the disciplines of surveying and geology. I also provide project supervision with a Southwest England theme, and I am an academic tutor for undergraduate geology students. More info. I am also the deputy Director of Education for CSM, helping to oversee our programmes and to ensure an excellent standard of education and student experience.
What I do at CSM - Research
My research focus is on understanding tectonomagmatic controls on granite pluton construction and the processes leading to the magmatic-hydrothermal transition. My postgraduate research area was in west Cornwall, focusing on the Land's End Granite. More info.
- Magmatic evolution of granite systems, and the transition from magmatic to hydrothermal processes leading to the formation of magmatic-hydrothermal ore deposits
- Structural controls on pluton construction and the role of regional tectonics
- Variscan and post-Variscan tectonic evolution of SW England
- Devonian / Carboniferous basin development in SW England
- Historical and contemporaneous mining in Cornwall and west Devon
2009 to present: Lecturer (Education & Scholarship), Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter.
2009 to 2019: PhD in Earth Resources, Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter.
2009 to 2010: Surveyor, Kemp Engineering and Surveying.
2005 to 2008 – BSc Applied Geology, Camborne School of Mines, University of Exeter.
Industrial Associations / Membership of Professional Bodies
- Associate of the Camborne School of Mines (ACSM)
- Fellow of the Geological Society of London (FGS)
- Member of the Cornish Institute of Engineers (IOM3)
- Member of The Ussher Society
- Geological Society of London South West Regional Group (SWRG)
- The Ussher Society
- Marine Learning Alliance