Programme Director for MSc Surveying and Land/Environmental Management
Telephone: 01326 255163
I am located in DuMaurier Building, room 3.096Academic Qualifications
Associate of the Royal School of Mines
BSc(Eng) Hons. Metallurgy and Materials, Imperial College London, 1983
Associate of the Royal School of Mines (ARSM)
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
I have worked at Camborne School of Mines since 2004 where I have been Programme Director of the MSc in Surveying, Land & Environmental Management since 2012. My main areas of interest are in near surface geophysical surveying and hydroraphic surveying in shallow or inland water.
- 2012> Programme Director, Surveying, Land & Environmental Management. Reintroduced geophysical capabilities in-house.
- 2007 - 2012: Marine Operations Manager, PRIMaRE. Set up hydrographic surveying capabilities and undertook a number of bathymetric and sidescan sonar surveys.
- 2005 - 2007: Research Project Manager at CSM: investigations into the use of biodiesel in fishing vessels.
- 2004> Joined CSM as Teaching Fellow, progressing to Lecturer and Senior Lecturer. Subjects taught include project management, GIS (geographical information systems), geophysics and aspects of advanced surveying.
- 1992 - 2004: Freelance consultant in the marine and offshore industry. Specialised in risk management and the recovery of failing projects.
- 1989 - 1992: Dowty Aerospace Group: various management roles becoming Group Operational Auditor.
- 1987 - 2001: Part-time soldier, Territorial Army, Royal Army Ordnance Corps / Royal Logistics Corps. Qualified as Explosive Ordnance Disposal Operator. Awarded the Volunteer Reserves Service Medal (VR).
- 1987 - 1989: NFU Mutual & Avon Insurance: Investment Analyst, Engineering and Mining sectors.
- 1984 - 1987: Various junior management positions with GEC Turbine Generators Ltd including Foreman (Heavy Fabrications), Foreman (Large Erections) and Senior Buyer (subcontracts).
- 1983: Research and development of composite armour systems including a "bullet proof bra" and a riot control vehicle.
I provide support to various research activities both within CSM and more widely across the university. Recent activities include:
- geophysical investigation supporting geotechnical investigations into slippage of land.
- the application of environmental surveying techniques to a study of an imprint in the Exon Domesday Book (with our Archaeology dept.).
- geophysical surveys of Roman slag deposits near Hastings (Archaeology again).
- geophysical investigations relating to kaolin extraction, both hydrogeology and resource identification.
I have also been involved in a wide range of investigations with a number of companies and organisations ranging from the interesting to the weird and wonderful (eg. crashed aircraft, adits, a fogou and a dead dolphin). Feel free to contact me for more information about what I get up to.