Dr Kevin Page
Geodiversity and GeoheritageGeodiversity and Geoheritage
Relevant academic and professional positions:
- Independent Geodiversity and Geoheritage consultant (from 2002).
- Editor-in-Chief, Geoheritage: (www.springer.com/journal/12371) (from 2014)
- Executive Committee, ProGEO (The Association for the Conservation of the Geological Heritage) (from 2015).
- Council Member: British Institute for Geological Conservation (BIGC) (from 2011)
- Convenor of Geoconservation Working Group: International Subcommission on Jurassic Stratigraphy (ISJS), International Union of Geological Sciences (from 2001)
- Secretary-General, International Commission on Geoheritage (ICG), International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) (2016- 2018)
- Secretary, International Subcommission on Geoheritage Sites and Collections (IUGS) (2016-2018).
- Geological Landscapes specialist and Quality Assurance adviser for LANDMAP (Landscape Assessment and Decision Making Process): Natural Resources Wales (formerly Countryside Council for Wales) (governmental agency), Wales, UK (2005-2016).
- Tutor (part-time): Module leader for Geodiversity and Conservation course LLN2092, Department of Lifelong Learning, University of Exeter, Devon, UK (2005-2012)
- Associate Lecturer: Course leader for Earth Heritage Conservation module, Protected Landscape Management MSc, Centre for Extra-Mural Studies, Birkbeck College, University of London (1999 to 2009).
- Geoconservation Officer, Devon Team, English Nature, Exeter, Devon: (1997–2002).
- Stratigrapher, Environmental Impacts Team, English Nature (Nature Conservancy Council for England), Peterborough (1990-1997).
- Geologist, Bedford Museum, Bedford (1989-1990)
- Palaeontologist, MRM Partnership (Consulting Engineers), Charmouth Bypass Site conservation project, Dorset (1989).
- Geologist, Peterborough Museum and Art Gallery, Peterborough (1988).
Projects and commissioned work (includes):
- The Geological Heritage of the English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark: Condition Assessment and management recommendations for Torbay’s Geosites. Survey and report commissioned by the English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark (2019)
- NA3 Wolborough (Newton Abbot) – Proposed Development: Report as Expert Witness for Public Planning Enquiry, Teignbridge District Council (report commissioned by Wolborough Residents’ Association) (2019)
- Hollicombe Head-Corbyn’s Head County Geological Site: Geodiversity survey (Preliminary Report); 23rd February 2017. Survey and report commissioned by the English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark (2017).
- Design of new site interpretation boards for the English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark, Torbay, Devon, UK (2016).
- Quality Assurance consultant for Natural Resources Wales (formerly Countryside Council of Wales) LANDMAP Information System: MapInfo based landscape assessment database and resource: contributions include development of methodology for survey and use of Geological Landscapes layer (see https://naturalresources.wales/media/677810/geological-landscape-landmap-methodology-2016.pdf ) and https://naturalresources.wales/media/677857/landmap-guidance-note-5-landmap-and-the-geological-landscape-2016.pdf ) (2003-2016).
- Monitoring Geological Landscape Change, South Wales: Specialist contractor and advisor for Countryside Council for Wales’ LANDMAP update project (2011-2013)
- Production of material for the website of the South West Geodiversity Partnership (includes a complete review of the geodiversity of south west England, a guide to its conservation and supplementary technical, administrative and legislative information. Website formerly available at http://development.geodiversitysouthwest.com (2009-2010)
- Geological specialist for Phase 2 of the North West England Landscape Character Framework: Provision of geological landscape characterization for Natural England Project (in partnership with Environment Systems, Aberystwyth) (2009-2010).
- LANDMAP Geological Landscapes specialist contractor for Countryside Council of Wales, Powys County Council, Flintshire County Council and Vale of Glamorgan Council, Wales: Surveys completed for Vale of Glamorgan, Flintshire, Radnorshire, Montgomeryshire, Anglesey, Monmouthshire, Pembrokeshire, Wrexham, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion (see https://landmap-maps.naturalresources.wales/ for completed surveys) (2004-2009).
- Torbay “Coral Coast” European Geoparks project, Devon: Including production of Local Geodiversity Action Plan (see http://www.englishrivierageopark.org.uk/documents/geologicalreview.pdf ) and contributions to proposal documents for designation as UNESCO Global Geopark (2004) and survey and documentation of proposed RIGS (Regionally Important Geological Sites (2008).
- Educational Register of Geological Sites in Devon, Devon County Council: Compilation of site descriptions, editing and updating of content of (accessible at: www.devon.gov.uk/index/natural_environment/geology.html ) (2008).
- Presenter for the Dartmoor Film Project: Geological presenter for the 'Wild River, Cold Stone' a documentary film by Chris Chapman & Kate King telling the story of Dartmoor (DVD available from: http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk and www.chrischapmanphotography.co.uk ) (2007)
- Devon Biodiversity Action Plan: Updating of geological content and compilation of new integrated natural diversity Habitat Action Plans for Devon County Council (see https://www.devon.gov.uk/environment/wildlife/the-devon-biodiversity-action-plan-bap) (2007).
- Devon Aggregates and Biodiversity Project - Parish Geodiversity Audits: Geodiversity audits produced for Aggregates Industries and Devon County Council (supported by the Aggregates Levy Sustainability Fund) (Reports compiled for Bampton, Burlescombe, Ipplepen, Bishop’s Tawton, Holcombe Rogus, Yealmpton, Woodbury, Uffculme, Okehampton Hamlets, Landkey)
- Contributions to the Virtually Dartmoor project: Recorded voices for audio tours with moving images for key sites within the Dartmoor National Park (see www.virtuallydartmoor.org.uk) (2007)
- Meldon Geology and Geomorphology Case Study (Dartmoor National Park Authority/Devon County Council 2006); including web-based resources and site interpretation panels (see www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/index/learninabout/case_studies/educatiom-meldon_case_study.html);
- Geodiversity Audit and interpretative review of the mining districts of the Tamar and Tavy rivers in West Devon (for Devon County Council): To support nomination for Cornish Mining Landscapes World Heritage Site (2004).
- The Geology of the Ausewell Wood Mine and mineral processing complex, Holne, Devon. Survey and report for archaeological project, Dartmoor National Park Authority (2004).
- Production of management plan for Countryside Stewardship, Special Project: Hannaborough Quarry SSSI, Hatherleigh, Devon (2002).
- Expert Advisor to the European Geoparks project (European Union, Leader IIc): Including compilation of report assessing a candidate UK European Geopark (2001).
- Other interpretative panels, posters and guides include: Castle Hill, Scarborough, North Yorkshire (1992), Hunstanton Cliffs, Norfolk (1992); Burrington Combe, Avon (1994); Wolferton sea-cliff, Sandringham, Norfolk (1994); Flixton, Suffolk (1994); Northamptonshire geology and building stones, poster (1995); Porth Nanven, Cornwall (1995); River Lynn, Exmoor, Devon (1996); Sedgwick Museum Short Guides (1997), Botallack visitor centre, National Trust, Cornwall, (1999); and “Dartmoor Rock” exhibition, Dartmoor National Park Authority, Devon (2001) (www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/rigspanel14-17.pdf).
- Contributions to radio and television broadcasts include for: BBC Radio Bedfordshire (1990), BBC Radio Scotland (1990), BBC Radio Cambridgeshire (1993, 1994), BBC Radio Gloucestershire (1995), BBC Radio Cornwall (1996), BBC World Service TV (1996) , BBC Radio 1 (1996), BBC Television (South West) (1999, 2009, 2010), BBC Radio 5 (1999), BBC Radio Devon (1997, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2010), Devon and Cornwall (True North Ltd, series broadcast on More 4, 2019).
Courses presented on aspects of geodiversity, landscape and conservation (include):
- Courses and seminars introducing Earth Science/ Earth Heritage Conservation include for: English Nature (1991, 1993), Northamptonshire RIGS Group (1993), National Trust, North East region (1994), FWAG (Farming and Wildlife Advisory Group, 1995, 1996), Rockingham Forest Trust Seminar, Oundle (1995); Coastal Defence and Conservation Conference, University of Portsmouth (1996); Chalkway Seminar, Market Weighton (1996); GRECEL project seminars (including at: UNESCO conference on Environment and Society: Education and Public awareness for sustainability, Thessaloniki, Greece, 1997; Reserve Géologique de Haute-Provence, Digne-les-Bains, France, 1998; IGME, Athens, Greece, 1999; and Geological Heritage as a Pedagogical Tool for Understanding of the Integrity and the Complexity of the Environment – course for teachers, Nafplion, Greece, 1999, 2000), various RIGS groups (Regionally Important Geological Sites) (including: Warwickshire, 1995; Buckinghamshire, 1996; Cornwall, 1999) and University courses and departments (including University of Birmingham, 1991, 1992; Universidad de Zaragoza, Spain, 1992; Kingston University, London, 1995; and University of Plymouth, 1999, 2000, 2001) and local and national societies (1994, 1995, 1998, 2002); Dartmoor National Park Authority (1999), Instituto de Estudios Riojanos, Enciso, La Rioja, Spain (2003); Cheshire Local Geodiversity Action Plan, Review Meeting, Chester (July 2005), Devonshire Association Conference on the Coast of Devon (Exeter, April 2006), Regional Geodiversity Workshop in Wells (Natural England UKRIGS/Geology Trusts project; September 2007); English Riviera Geopark, Torbay, Devon (English Riviera Geopark, Torbay, Devon 2009); 34th International Geological Congress, Brisbane, Australia (August 2012): Invited keynote speaker for Session 1: ‘Geoheritage Methodologies, inventory based assessments and management of Geosites of National and International significance, contracting work in Europe and beyond’ (2012).
Courses and modules in the field of Geoconservation developed (include):
- Earth Heritage Conservation (Module for Protected Landscape Management MSc): Birkbeck College, University of London (locations include: Peak District National Park (in collaboration with English Nature, 1997); Postjna (1999) and Lipica (2001), Slovenia (in collaboration with University of Ljubliana); and Slapton Ley Field Studies Centre, Devon (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009).
- Geodiversity and Conservation (Distance Learning module LLN2092 for Environmental Science diploma and degree): Department of Lifelong Learning, University of Exeter (2009 - 2012).
- Development of module in Landscape Evolution and Assessment: For MSc / MRes in Landscape Conservation and Management (2007)
- Development of module in Geodiversity and Geoheritage: For Sustainable Geoscience MSc., Plymouth University (2017).
Conference abstracts (include):
PAGE, K.N. 1998. La Conservacion del partrimonio paleontologico en Inglaterra; Legislacion o concienciacion? In: INSTITUTO DE ESTUDIOS TUROLENSES, I Jornados sobre el Patrimonio de la provincia de Turuel, Paleontologia, Rubielos de Mora, 24-26 Septiembre 1998 (Resumenes). Instituto De Estudios Turolenses.
PAGE, K.N., WIMBLEDON, W.A. and BULLEN, J. 2005. The LANDMAP Information System (System Wybodaeth LANDMAP; Wales, UK) – A new multidisciplinary approach to evaluating and managing ‘Geological Landscapes’. In: Earth Heritage Centre (University of Minho) 2005, IV International Symposium ProGEO on the Conservation of the Geological Heritage: Abstracts: 106. University of Minho (Braga), Portugal.
PAGE, K.N. and WIMBLEDON, W.A. 2006. The conservation of Jurassic heritage in the UK – a critical review of current practice and effectiveness (abstract). Volumina Jurassica 4, 254.
PAGE, K.N. 2006. Parish Geodiversity Audits in Devon: raising awareness of local Geo-distinctiveness Torbay (abstract). Geoscience in South-West England 11: 261.
PAGE, K.N., MELÉNDEZ, G. and HENRIQUES, M.-H. 2006. Jurassic Global Stratotype Section and Points (GSSPs) - a potential serial World Heritage Site? (abstract). Volumina Jurassica 4:
PAGE, K.N. 2008. Geodiversity and conservation in Devon: Integrated approaches to heritage management Torbay (abstract). Geoscience in South-West England 12: 68.
PAGE, K.N. and BORDER, M. 2008. The English Riviera Geopark: geodiversity and community in Torbay (abstract). Geoscience in South-West England 12: 68.
PAGE, K.N., CHAMBERLAIN, P. and DIXON, C. 2008. Integrated approaches to natural diversity conservation in Devon. (abstract). In: Marjanac, T., 5th International ProGEO Symposium on Conservation of the Geological Heritage: Proceedings: 58-59. ProGEO-Croatia.
CLARKE, R. and PAGE, K.N. 2008. Purpose, Process and Product in Earth Heritage Conservation (abstract). In: Marjanac, T., 5th International ProGEO Symposium on Conservation of the Geological Heritage: Proceedings: 17-18. ProGEO-Croatia.
MELÉNDEZ, G., PAGE, K.N., RODRIGUES, J., CALONGE, A., DERMITZAKIS, M., FERMELI, G. and LÓPEZ-CARRILLO, Ma-D 2008. Exomuseums (site-based interpretation) and local museums: key educational facilities for teaching Earth Sciences. Proposed initiative for sharing strategies across Europe (abstract). In: Marjanac, T., 5th International ProGEO Symposium on Conservation of the Geological Heritage: Proceedings: 52-53. ProGEO-Croatia.
PAGE, K.N. and CLARKE, R. 2008. Geoconservation in the university Curriculum - the London ‘Extra-mural’ example: training a new generation of environmental managers (abstract). In: Marjanac, T., 5th International ProGEO Symposium on Conservation of the Geological Heritage: Proceedings: 59-60. ProGEO-Croatia.
PAGE, K.N., WIMBLEDON, W.A. and MELÉNDEZ, G. 2008. Conserving palaeontological heritage and palaeontological science in Europe: a proposed framework for the international collaboration and exchange (abstract). In: Marjanac, T., 5th International ProGEO Symposium on Conservation of the Geological Heritage: Proceedings: 60-61. ProGEO-Croatia.
PAGE, K. 2010. World Heritage ‘For Sale’ – state supported trade in global palaeonto-logical heritage in Dorset, UK – and its consequences. (Abstract). In: Mügge-Bartolovíc, V., Röhling, H.-G. and Wrede, V. (eds), Geotop 2010: geosites for the Public, Palaeontology and the Conservation of Geosites. Schriftenreihe der Deutschen Gesellschahft für geowissen schaften 66:
PAGE, K., BORDER, M., HART, M., BOLTON, C., DIXON, C., POWE, N., ROCHE, D. and SCRIVEN, S, 2010. The Geodiversity south-west website – developing an on-line resource for geoconservation in south-west England (Abstract). In: Mügge-Bartolovíc, V., Röhling, H.-G. and Wrede, V. (eds), Geotop 2010: geosites for the Public, Palaeontology and the Conservation of Geosites. Schriftenreihe der Deutschen Gesellschahft für geowissen schaften 66: 78.
PAGE, K. N., HENRIQUES, M. –H., MELÉNDEZ, G., and WIMBLEDON, W. A. 2015, Towards a European agreement on the use and movement of palaeontological heritage for scientific and educational purpose. In: Programme and Abstracts, Geoconservation strategies in a changing world VIII International ProGEO Symposium 2015 (8 -12 September 2015), Reykjavík, Iceland.
PAGE, K. N., BRILHA, J. and WIMBLEDON, W. A. 2015. The Journal Geoheritage: a partnership between ProGEO and Springer and a force in global geoconservation. . In: Programme and Abstracts, Geoconservation strategies in a changing world VIII International ProGEO Symposium 2015 (8 -12 September 2015), Reykjavík, Iceland.
PAGE, K. N. 2015. Integrating geodiversity and biodiversity conservation: Strategic and site-based approaches. In: De Wever, P. et al. (eds.), Geoheritage Inventories: Challenges, Achievements and perspectives, 22-26 September 2015 (Abstracts).
PAGE, K. N. 2015. Integrating international, national and regional inventories – the reality: A case study from Devon, SW England, UK. De Wever, P. et al. (eds.), Geoheritage Inventories: Challenges, Achievements and perspectives, 22-26 September 2015 (Abstracts).
PAGE, K.N. 2016. From natural to cultural heritage – conserving moveable geological heritage. In: 35th International Geological Congress 27 August - 4 September 2016, Cape Town, South Africa (abstracts).
PAGE, K. N. 2016. Documenting our Geoheritage or why collecting fossils is a good thing. In: 7th International Conference on UNESCO Global Geoparks, 27th – 30th September 2016, English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark (Abstracts): 93.
PAGE, K.N. and WIMBLEDON, W.A. 2016. Fossils and Heritage: Conserving a unique resource for future generations . Geoscience in South-West England 14: 88.
PAGE, K.N. 2016. Managing geodiversity for biodiversity – and vice versa - strategic approaches from the UK. In: 35th International Geological Congress 27 August - 4 September 2016, Cape Town, South Africa (abstracts).
PAGE, K.N. 2016. Geodiversity, heritage, conservation and society: The role of the journal Geoheritage in raising awareness and disseminating good practice. In: 35th International Geological Congress 27 August - 4 September 2016, Cape Town, South Africa (Abstracts).
PAGE, K. N. 2016. The contribution of the journal Geoheritage to developing the GGN. In: 7th International Conference on UNESCO Global Geoparks, 27th – 30th September 2016, English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark (Abstracts): 90.
PAGE, K. N. 2017. Geoheritage comes of age: New advances on a global stage! Geoscience in South-West England 14: 241.
PAGE, K. N. and DE WEVER, P. 2017 . The International Commission on Geoheritage (ICG) and the Heritage Sites and Collections Subcommission (HSCS): A new global framework for advancing the science and practice of geodiversity conservation. Geodiversity and Geoheritage Session GM1.3/EOS19/SSS3.12, European Geological Union General Assembly, April 2017 (abstract).
PAGE, K. N. and DE WEVER, P. 2017. UNESCO Global Geoparks and the International Commission on Geoheritage (ICG) – a potential new partnership for advancing the science and practice of geodiversity conservationin: European Geoparks Network Symposium, Azores, Portugal, 6-9 September 2017. (Abstracts).
PAGE, K. N., CARLOS NETO DE CARVALHO, JOSÉ IGNACIO CANUDO, HELENA MCOUTO, MARIA-HELENA HENRIQUES, ASIER HILARIO ORÚS and GUILLERMO MELÉNDEZ 2017. Collecting fossils for research and education in UNESCO global geoparks and other protected areas. In: European Geoparks Network Symposium, Azores, Portugal, 6-9 September 2017. (Abstracts).