Mr Kim Moreton
Lecturer, Education & Scholarship
I am a Lecturer/Practitioner, a Chartered Environmental Surveyor. I draw on research and my ongoing professional experience to deliver teaching that is informed by commercial best practice and industry innovation. I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), a practicing Chartered Surveyor (MRICS) and a graduate of the Camborne School of Mines (MCSM).
My professional practice specialisms are in land, resources and the environment, and the interaction of commercial pressures with compliance and emerging legislation. I engage with my students beyond the taught programmes, mentoring and assisting with employability and professional accreditation (RICS, ICE). In recent years I have been privileged to coach former students to achieving professional status as Chartered Surveyors in Minerals, Geographic Information Systems, Planning and Development and Geomatics.
In 2019 I was elected to the Board of the Camborne School of Mines Association (CSMA), the global organisation for CSM alumni. I am a Research Trust Assessor for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Global Research Programme, reviewing grant funding applications within the land and resources value chain. I also sit on the Education Standards Board of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, working with Universities in the UK and abroad to maintain and develop Degree and Masters programmes and professional standards.
I am a member of the UK Environmental Law Association, established in 1988, which aims to improve understanding and awareness of environmnetal law and to make better law for the environment.
- Evaluation, modelling and risk profiling of legacy Tailings Storage Facilities (TSF)
- Remote sensing in land condition / geoenvironmental assessment.
- Mineral safeguarding and resource policy.
- Environmental protection and the National Planning Policy Framework.
Presentations and papers
- "Environmental impact of mining transactions" - risk management for Legal professionals 2019
- "Mine waste in concrete aggregates" - risk management for AEC and Finance professionals 2019
- “Innovation in Metrology for Spatial/Temporal Asset Management in Superyacht Manufacture”
Intergraph, Orlando, Florida.
- “Research or Market? Adventures in turning ideas into earnings”
University of Nottingham, Institute of Engineering Surveying and Space Geodesy
- “Realising ideas: from dissertation to working model”
University of Birmingham, Teaching of Laser Scanning, Leica Global Symposium, San Ramon California.
- “Remote sensing measurement solutions for marine construction: Too much information?”
Sparpoint, Denver, Colorado.
- “Contaminated land – an overview and guidance for Surveyors”
RICS CPD Seminar presentation.
- “Mundic Guidance note revision – update for Surveyors and Engineers”
CPD seminar presentations to RICS (Plymouth and Cornwall Associations).
- “MMR - Mining, Mundic and Radon - Property risk management from a time before HIPs”
CPD seminar presentation to NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents) .
- “Mining, land contamination and radon”
CPD seminar presentation to DCHI (Devon and Cornwall Home Inspectors Association) Cornwall.
- Leica: Innovation in High Definition Surveying Award 2010