Dr Jens Andersen
Senior Lecturer, Director of Research for CSM
Telephone: 01326 371836
Research expertise: Igneous petrology, magmatic ore deposits, applied and process mineralogy, geochemical analysis, QEMSCAN
Research profile: I research where new energy critical metal resources may be found and how they may be extracted. My principal focus is on metals associated with igneous rocks, including PGE, Ni, Co, V, and Ti in mafic–ultramafic layered intrusions and Li, In, Sn and W in granite-related magmatic-hydrothermal systems. The ultimate goal is to increase the global availability of resources, in order to facilitate the transition to a low-carbon society.
Current research projects:
- EU Horizon 2020 project "FAME": Flexible and Mobile Economic Processing Technologies (led by Wardell-Armstrong International).
- Platinum-group metals, vanadium and titanium in the Skaergaard intrusion, East Greenland (collaboration with the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland, Cambridge University and Simon Fraser University).
- EU INTERREG project “MARINEFF” exploring novel eco-friendly concrete materials for marine construction (led by ESITC Caen).
- Granite-related critical metals in Southwest England.
- Platinum-group metals in the Parana basalts, Brazil (collaboration with the Federal University of Parana, Brazil).
- Mineralogical tracers of archaeological pottery in SW England (with the SW Implement Petrology Group).
- The FAME project is awarded the IoM3 Medal for Excellence for 2018.
- Let's meet at the 15th Quadriennal IAGOD meeting, Salta, Argentina 28-31 August 2018.
- Just published: Vukmanovic Z, Holness MB, Monks K, Andersen JCØ. (2018) The Skaergaard trough layering: sedimentation in a convecting magma chamber, Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 173 (5), DOI:10.1007/s00410-018-1466-1
- Explore current research on the Skaergaard intrusion in this short video from the Underground Channel: https://youtu.be/BRxkB2uE8us
Educational activities: I contribute to teaching of all years of the undergraduate degree programmes in Geology, Applied Geology and Engineering Geology and Geotechnics as well as the taught postgraduate programmes in Mining Geology and Exploration Geology. My teaching is focused on igneous petrology and mineral deposits geology, including ore microscopy and petrography. I also lead the overseas residential field course in Applied Field Geology.
Explore what our students got up to on Applied Field Geology in Spain, 2018: https://youtu.be/MYZdkWDks0U
Professional associations: Chairman of the IAGOD working group on critical metals . Fellow of the Society of Economic Geologists (SEG) and the Higher Education Academy (HEA). Member of the SGA and the Mineralogical Society.