Dr Declan Vogt
I am offering to supervise or share supervision of self-funded PhD students in the broad areas of:
- Application of robotics or automation to the mining process;
- Stand-off remote sensing for in-mine use, particularly ground penetrating radar, Laser-induced breakdown-spectroscopy (LIBS), 3D scan data;
- Novel low-cost Internet-of-Things approaches to existing mining challenges;
- Application of Lean management to mining operations; or
- Radio propagation in underground environments
Contact me if you'd like to explore other potential topics. If you're looking for funding, this page has info on costs and potential sources of financial support.
Listed below are the students for whom I've been the primary supervisor:
Herman Aguirre Jofre (PhD): using elements of the 4th industrial revolution, including sensors, computing and communication to improve the financial viability of smaller mines.
Lwabanji Tony Lumbwe (MSc Eng): "Assessing the implementation of a low-profile roof-bolter in a platinum mine section based on a systems approach."
Wonderboy Orchard Kekana (MSc Eng) : "Implementation of a GHH roof bolter at Merensky Shaft (Booysendal Platinum Mine) - a case study"
Kgomotso Betty Simango (MSc Eng): "An investigation of factors contributing to low face time at Impala 14 Shaft, trackless mechanised section: case study"
Peter Adam Tendaupenya (MSc Eng): "The application of mechanised technology to South Africa's Bushveld UG2 tabular orebody"