Dr Chunbo Luo
Lecturer in Computer Science
Telephone: 01392 725725
Extension: (Streatham) 5725
Dr. Chunbo Luo is a Lecturer in Computer Science within the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences at the University of Exeter, UK. My office has moved to Innovation Centre M1.
- Algorithms that changed the world;
- Outside the box, Computer Science research and applications;
- The C family languages
His research interests focus on developing model based and machine learning algorithms to solve practical problems such as wireless networking, unmanned aerial vehicles, and remote sensing. Some recent projects:
- NERC HT project: BIG data methods for improving windstorm FOOTprint prediction (BigFoot), 2017-2021, CoI
- Royal society, MOST: Energy-Efficient High-Performance Computing Architecture Solutions for Powerful Big Data Processing, 2017-2019, CoI
- Feasibility study on a fully deployable resilient flooding predicting, monitoring and response system, 2016-2017, ADR funding.
- China UK Technology Innovation Centre Workshop 2016 (with Prof G Parr, University of East Anglia, and other 7 UK universities, Prof W Chen of Tsinghua University, Shanghai Jiaotong University and other 3 China research institutes, as well as Prof N Azarmi BT and other 4 industrial partners). Link
- Huawei: Research on Key Communication Technologies for UAVs to Transmit High Definition Video, 2017-2018.
- High-Performance Distributed Algorithms and Key Technologies for Processing SDN Big Data, 11/2016 – 05/2018, Huawei Technologies.
- ESRC: IAA Social Policy Network: Building Digital Identities: A Scoping Study, 2017. Link, Report
- Exeter-Tsinghua Outward Mobility Academic Fellowship, 2016.
- Royal Sciety of Edinburgh: Flood Detection and Monitoring using Hyperspectral Remote Sensing from Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- CENSIS, Thales, Scotish Funding Council: Low-pixel Automatic Target Detection & Recognition (ATD/ATR). This project won a knowledge transfer award.
- RCUK Digital Economy: A Pilot Study on a Fully Deployable Cooperative Unmanned Aerial Vehicles System for Flooding Prediction, Monitoring and Response Services
- Royal Society, NSFC: Research on Multiple UAV Cooperation for Marine Oil Spill Detection
- Joint PhD studentship with Porsche: on Electric Vehilce Smart Charging Algorithms.
- China Scholarship Council and University of Exeter Full PhD Scholarships Link
- Fully funded PhD studenthsip (UK/EU) on Multi-stage Cyber Attack detection using Machine Learning Approaches.
- More PhD Studentship opportunities at Exeter. Link
The following topics are welcoming PhD applicants:
- Deep learning and its real-world applications
- Next generation wireless networks
- Unmanned aerial vehicles
- Other topics: computing, signal processing, sensing and unmanned systems
Third year/MSc student projects
- Video search (searching an object such as a red car from video clips)
- Infrared video analyses of egg spawning of weakly electric blunt nose knifefishes
- Fall detection of senior people at care homes using deep learning methods
- Prediction and Visulisation of Air Quality in the UK