Dr Chunbo Luo
Senior Lecturer in Computer Science
Telephone: 01392 725725
Extension: (Streatham) 5725
Dr. Chunbo Luo is a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science within the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences at the University of Exeter, UK.
His research interests focus on developing model-based and machine learning algorithms to solve practical problems such as wireless networking, unmanned aerial vehicles, and remote sensing.
Some industrial projects I have worked on include:
- Multi-stage network intrusion prediction, funded by EPSRC and BT for a PhD project, Principal Investigator, 2019-2023. In collaboration with Selina Wong from BT, this project aims to develop robust machine learning models to predict malware and network intrusions, which are more and more delivered in multiple stages, e.g. the 2017 NHS attacks.
- Low-pixel Automatic Target Detection & Recognition, funded by CENSIS and Thales, Principal Investigator, 2015-2017. In collaboration with UWS, the outcome of this project won a knowledge transfer award. It developed and successfully demonstrated deep learning models to enhance infrared images and detect tiny objects in high confidence. All designed objectives were achieved on time, and the excellent outcome make it a winner of the 2018 Scottish Knowledge Transfer Award!
- UAV (aka drone) communication technologie, funded by a world-leading wireless technology company (2017-2019), Principal Investigator, to enhance HD video communication over long distance. We delivered all the research outcomes, and filed a patent of the new technology, with publications in the top conferences in wireless communications (IEEE ICC and IEEE Globecom).
- Joint PhD studentship with Porsche on Electric Vehicle Smart Charging Algorithms, Principal Investigator, 2015-2019. This project has already developed prediction algorithms that passed the tests on datasets generated by industrial level sensors! Plus a few publications.
Some recent research projects include:
- NERC HT project: BIG data methods for improving windstorm FOOTprint prediction (BigFoot), CoI, 2017-2021
- Royal society, MOST: Energy-Efficient High-Performance Computing Architecture Solutions for Powerful Big Data Processing, CoI, 2017-2019
- Feasibility study on a fully deployable resilient flooding predicting, monitoring and response system, 2016-2017, ADR funding.
- China UK Technology Innovation Centre Workshop 2016 (with Prof G Parr, University of East Anglia, and other 7 UK universities, Prof W Chen of Tsinghua University, Shanghai Jiaotong University and other 3 China research institutes, as well as Prof N Azarmi BT and other 4 industrial partners). Link
- ESRC: IAA Social Policy Network: Building Digital Identities: A Scoping Study, CoI, 2017. Link, Report
- Exeter-Tsinghua Outward Mobility Academic Fellowship, 2016.
- Royal Society of Edinburgh: Flood Detection and Monitoring using Hyperspectral Remote Sensing from Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Co-I, 2015-217.
- EU H2020: SELFNET, UWS Co-I, 2015-2017.
- RCUK Digital Economy: A Pilot Study on a Fully Deployable Cooperative Unmanned Aerial Vehicles System for Flooding Prediction, Monitoring and Response Services, PI, 2015-2016.
- Royal Society, NSFC: Research on Multiple UAV Cooperation for Marine Oil Spill Detection, PI, 2013-2015.
Prospective PhD and Master students
Highly motivated, knowledgeable postgraduate research students are welcome to discuss with me on any of the research topics mentioned below
- UAV/drone imagery processing
- Big environment data processing
- Deep learning and its real-world applications
- The theories underpin machine learning
- China Scholarship Council and University of Exeter Full PhD Scholarships Link
- Fully funded PhD studentship (UK/EU) on Multi-stage Cyber Attack detection using Machine Learning Approaches.
- More PhD Studentship opportunities at Exeter. Link
- Algorithms that changed the world;
- Outside the box, Computer Science research and applications;
- The C family languages
Third year/MSc student project examples
- Patients Waiting Time Prediction for NHSquicker, Yuchen Zhu, Computer Science MSc project award winner!
- Video search (searching an object such as a red car from video clips)
- Infrared video analyses of egg spawning of weakly electric blunt nose knifefishes
- Block-chain based systems for combating VAT fraud, and trustful weather data management
- Fall detection of senior people at care homes using deep learning methods
- Prediction and Visulisation of Air Quality in the UK