Dr Kaipei Qiu
Dr. Kaipei Qiu is now a research fellow at Dr. Xiaohong Li’s Group in the Renewable Energy Department, University of Exeter, serving as the principal researcher and project coordinator for the EPSRC SUPERGEN Energy Storage Challenge II ‘Zinc-Nickel Redox Flow Battery for Energy Storage’ (EP/P003494/1). Prior to joining UoE, Kaipei has received a PhD in Chemistry at the University College London, supervised by Prof. Zhengxiao Guo, working on another multi-million pound EPSRC project ‘Energy Storage for Low Carbon Grid’ (EP/K002252/1). Kaipei also has a Dual-BSc in Environmental Sciences (First Class Honour) from the University of East Anglia and Fudan University.
Kaipei’s current research focus (e.g. the Working Package 1 of the EPSRC Zn-Ni RFB Project) is the development of highly efficient and durable electrolyte additives to suppress zinc dendrite growth, hydrogen evolution side reaction, and passivation layer formation during the charge / discharge of zinc electrodes. In addition, other research interests of Kaipei’s cover 1) electro(chemical) energy storage, 2) (electro)catalysis, and 3) graphene and other two-dimensional materials. For instance, one of key research areas in Kaipei’s PhD is to design heteroatom doped graphene derivatives or graphene supported non-precious metal hybrids as cost-effective and durable oxygen reduction / evolution catalysts for rechargeable metal-air batteries (e.g. Zinc-Air) and regenerative fuel cells.
Up to now, Kaipei has published 9 journal paper (average impact factor ~ 10 & total citation > 270) with 1 more under review, and has delivered more than 10 oral or poster presentations in scientific conferences as well.
List of Publications
1. Highly Efficient Sulfur / Nitrogen Dual-doped Metal-Free Catalysts for Bifunctional Oxygen Reduction and Evolution, 2017 (Under Review).
2. Active Sites Engineering Leads to Exceptional ORR and OER Bifunctionality in P, N Co-Doped Graphene Frameworks
G.-L. Chai, K. Qiu (co-first author), M. Qiao, M.-M. Titirici, C. Shang, and Z. X. Guo
Energy Environ. Sci., 2017 (Accepted). DOI: 10.1039/C6EE03446B
3. Highly-Crystallized α-FeOOH for Stable and Efficient Oxygen Evolution Reaction
W. Luo, C. Jiang, Y. Li, S. A. Shevlin , X. Han, K. Qiu, Y. Cheng, Z. X. Guo, W. Huang, and J. Tang
J. Mater. Chem. A, 2017, 5, 2021-2028. DOI: 10.1039/C6TA08719A
4. Highly Efficient Oxygen Reduction Catalysts by Rational Synthesis of Nanoconfined Maghemite in a Nitrogen-Doped Graphene Framework
K. Qiu, G.-L. Chai, C. Jiang, M. Ling, J. Tang, and Z. X. Guo
ACS Catal., 2016, 6, 3558–3568. DOI: 10.1021/acscatal.6b00531
5. Soy Protein Directed Hydrothermal Synthesis of Porous Carbon Aerogels for Electrocatalytic Oxygen Reduction
S.-M. Alatalo, K. Qiu, K. Preuss, A. Marinovic, M. Sevilla, M. Sillanpää, Z. X. Guo, and M.-M. Titirici
Carbon, 2016, 96, 622–630. DOI:10.1016/j.carbon.2015.09.108
6. Graphene / Nitrogen-Doped Porous Carbon Sandwiches for the Metal-Free Oxygen Reduction Reaction: Conductivity versus Active Sites
M. Qiao, C. Tang, G. He, K. Qiu, R. Binions, I. Parkin, Q. Zhang, Z. X. Guo, and M.-M. Titirici
J. Mater. Chem. A, 2016, 4, 12658–12666. DOI: 10.1039/C6TA04578B
7. Naturally Derived Porous Carbon with Selective Metal- and/or Nitrogen-Doping for Efficient CO2 Capture and Oxygen Reduction
B. Zhu, K. Qiu, C. Shang, and Z. X. Guo
J. Mater. Chem. A, 2015, 3, 5212–5222. DOI: 10.1039/C4TA06072E
8. Hierarchically Porous Graphene Sheets and Graphitic Carbon Nitride Intercalated Composites for Enhanced Oxygen Reduction Reaction
K. Qiu and Z. X. Guo
J. Mater. Chem. A, 2014, 2, 3209–3215. DOI:10.1039/C3TA14158F
9. Highly Efficient Photocatalytic H2 Evolution from Water using Visible Light and Structure-Controlled Graphitic Carbon Nitride
D. Martin, K. Qiu, S. A. Shevlin, A. D. Handoko, X. Chen, Z. X. Guo, and J. Tang
Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2014, 53, 9240–9245. DOI: 10.1002/anie.201403375
10. Selective Morphologies of MgO via Nanoconfinement on γ-Al2O3 and Reduced Graphite Oxide (rGO): Improved CO2 Capture Capacity at Elevated Temperatures
X. Zhang, K. Qiu, E. Levänen, and Z. X. Guo
CrystEngComm, 2014, 16, 8825–8831. DOI: 10.1039/C4CE01258E