Prof Tim Naylor
Norman Lockyer Professor of Astrophysics
Telephone: 01392 724172
Extension: (Streatham) 4172
I am an observational astrophysicist currently working in the area of star and planet formation. The implications of this work include how long the Sun and Earth took took form.
Further details of my research projects can be found at my astrophysics home page.
Education and Employment
- 2000 onwards: Norman Lockyer Professor of Astrophysics, University of Exeter
- 1999 - 2000: Professor of Astrophysics, Keele University
- 1998 - 1999: Reader in Astrophysics, Keele University
- 1991 - 1997: Lecturer in Astrophysics, Keele University
- 1989 - 1991: SERC post-doc in X-ray astronomy group, Cambridge University
- 1988 - 1989: European Space Agency research fellow, VILSPA, Madrid
- 1984 - 1987: Doctorate in Astrophysics, Oxford University
- 1981 - 1984: First degree in Physics, Oxford University
Other posts held
- 2006 - 2012: Head of Physics, University of Exeter
- 2000 - 2006: Head of Astrophysics, University of Exeter
- 1994 - 2000: PPARC advanced fellows
Current funded projects
- STFC: ST/F007124/1 (PI: Naylor, CoI: Aigrain, Bate, Brunt, Harries, McCaughrean) Quota Studentships. Period: 01/10/2008 - 30/09/2013
- STFC: ST/J001627/1 (PI: Baraffe, CoI: Bate, Berger, Browning, Brunt, Chabrier, Gilbert, Harries, Hatchell, Naylor, Patience, Pont, Sing, Zhang) From Molecular Clouds to Planets. Period: 01/04/2012 - 31/03/2015
- STFC: ST/K005588/1 (PI: Hatchell, CoI: Brunt, Harries, Naylor, Patience, Pont, Sing) A PATT-linked grant to support Exeter's observational astrophysics research. Period 10/07/2013 - 09/07/2015
- "Ages of young stars" David R. Soderblom, Lynne A. Hillenbrand, Rob D. Jeffries, Eric E. Mamajek & Tim Naylor (2013). Protostars and Planets VI.
- "Cluster Parameter Determinations for Large Datasets" Tim Naylor (2010). Joint European National Astronomy Meeting.
- " The eSTAR project" (Keynote) Tim Naylor (2010). GAIA Science alerts workshop.
Contributions to the community
- Member of Liverpool Telescope Oversight Committee.
- Chandra Time Allocation Committee (2011).
- XMM/Newton Time Allocation Committee (member 2006 and a panel chair 2007).
- Astronomical Society Talks.
- Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society.
- Member of the International Astronomical Union.