Dr Priyanka Dey
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Presently, I am working with Prof. Nick Stone in the BioSpec group of Biophysics. Employing my skills and knowledge in Surface enhaced Raman Scattering SERS plasmonic nanoparticles (NPs) for customizing and maximizing detection from within deep tissues based on spatially offset SESORS approach.
- Engineering plasmonic nanostructures for use as optical sensors. Especially, nanoplasmonic enhanced optical spectroscopy including Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance LSPR, Raman SERS, Chiral Dichroism CD and lens-free interferometric microscopy.
- Point-of-care (POC) lab-on-chip diagnostics with biofluids (blood, plasma, urine etc.)
- Deep tissue cancer diagnostics via Raman (SESORS) detection.
- Hybrid nanoparticles.
The projects I have been involved in include:
2018- present: Working with Prof. Nick Stone at University of Exeter, UK. EPSRC Programme grants EP/R020965/1: Raman Nanotheranostics – RaNT: Developing gold-based targeted diagnostics specifically with deep tissue Raman SESORS set-up. (Participants (7): University of Exeter; University College London; University of Cambridge; STFC laboratories, Cancer Research and industry partners including BBI solutions, Nanometrics. UK collaborative funded project.)
2017-2018: Worked with Prof. Laura Lechuga at ICN2, Barcelona, Spain. Horizon H2020-ICT-2014-1 Project RAIS: Scalable, point-of-care and label free microarray platform for rapid detection of Sepsis. Involved in developing label-free detection of E. coli from patient blood plasma in just 30 minutes, estabilishing it as a bed-side POC diagnostics. (Participants (9): ICFO, Vall d'Hebron University Hospital and ICN2 Spain, EPFL Switzerland, iXscient UK, Toskana Biomarkers Italy, BRAHMS and microTEK Germany, TRN Belgium. EU collaborative funded project.)
2015-2016: Worked with Dr. Jessica Rodriguez-Fernandez and Prof. Jochen Feldman at LMU, Munich, Germany. EU FP7 Project UNION: Ultra-versatile Nanoparticle Integration into Organized Nanoclusters. Designed plasmonic nanostructures with specific optical responses including directional assembling potential of Gold nanorods, assemblies directed via manipulating DNA, chiral responses, as well as, switchable plasmonic/SERS behaviour with semi-conductor-plasmonic NP interactions. (Participants (8): LMU Germany, DCU Ireland, IREC Spain, MFA Hungary, Nanovector Italy, Cidette, Thals and Malvern. EU collaborative funded project.)
2014-2014: Worked with Dr. Emad Kirikaous at QUT, Brisbane, Australia. Australian Advance Queensland award: Water treatment technologies. Developed iron oxide-polymer hybrids as smart osmotic draw agents for water treatment in forward osmosis FO set-up. (Participant (1): QUT, Australia).
2011-2014: PhD (Chemistry and Nanomaterials): Worked with A/Prof. Peter Fredericks and A/Prof. Idriss Blakey at QUT Brisbane and UQ St. Lucia, Australia. Australian Research Council Discovery Project ARC DP1094205: Multimodal Biomedical Imaging probes. Designed NP hybrids (RAFT polymer-gold nano-assemblies) based Raman imaging agents to be employed for deep tissue SESORS detection. (Participants(3): UQ and QUT Australia, University Of Nottingham, UK).
2009-2011: Researcher in Industry, TAF, Thailand. Developing functional acrylic polymers and textile grade fibres.
2007-2009: Masters (Material and Fibre Science), Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, India. Developing stimuli-responsive (thermo and pH) polymer-NP hybrids for engineering switchable surfaces.
Other activities, I have been involved in:
- 2019: Public engagement: Soapbox Sciece Exeter Speaker and blogger. Blog titled "How Science is the best travel buddy".
- 2018 onwards: Vice-Chair of the technical group of “Optical Biosensors” of The Optical Society (OSA).
- 2012 and 2014: Organizing committee member of conference- Royal Australasian Chemical Institute (RACI) Student Polymer Symposium, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- 2015 onwards: Reviewer of J. Phys. Chem C, Analyst, Applied Spectrosocpy and Optics Express.
- 2018: EU Seal of Excellence Award (MC IF 2017).
- 2015: Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award 2014 - Queensland University of Technology (QUT, Brisbane, Australia).
- 2013: HDR student of the month award (January 2013) - Queensland University of Technology (QUT, Brisbane, Australia).
More details here.