Dr Jane Pratt
The development of the JOREK simulation-code (official website) is part of the ITER fusion project in Cadarache, and has been carried out by an international group of scientists over the last decade. Early development of JOREK was undertaken as part of project ASTER (Adaptive mhd Simulation of Tokamak Elms for iteR). The webpage jorek.eu also contains a user portal for documentation and information on the code and its continuing development.
JOREK is a nonlinear 3D reduced-MHD code designed to simulate MHD instabilities in a realistic tokamak geometry. A full MHD version of JOREK has recently also been developed. JOREK typically uses a 3rd order Bezier finite-element method (although other orders have been tried and the finite-element method is under active development) and fully-implicit time-integration. The time integration is performed by the PaStiX library or alternatively the MUMPS library and block-Jacobi preconditioning is currently the default operation mode. Jacobian-free methods are also under development.
Selected Recent Publications from the JOREK code:
- J. Pratt, G.T.A Huismans, E. Westerhof. Early evolution of electron cyclotron driven current during suppression of tearing modes in a circular tokamak. Physics of Plasmas, 2016.link
- J.W. Haverkort, H.J. de Blank, G.T.A. Huysmans, J. Pratt, B. Koren. Implementation of the full viscoresistive magnetohydrodynamic equations in a nonlinear finite element code. Journal of Computational Physics, 2016.link
- Franck, E., Hoelzl, M., Lessig, A., & Sonnendrücker, E. (2014). Theoretical and numerical stability for the reduced MHD models in the JOREK code. arXiv preprint arXiv:1408.2099.
- Bécoulet, M., Orain, F., Huijsmans, G. T. A., Pamela, S., Cahyna, P., Hoelzl, M., ... & Grandgirard, V. (2014). Mechanism of Edge Localized Mode Mitigation by Resonant Magnetic Perturbations. Physical review letters, 113(11), 115001.
- E. Westerhof, J. Pratt. "Expression of electron cyclotron current drive in plasma fluid models." Proceedings of the 40th EPS Conference on Plasma Physics. Espoo, Finland, July 1st -- 5th 2013.
- J.W. Haverkort, G.T.A. Huysmans, H.J. de Blank, J. Pratt, E.V. van der Plas, B. Nkonga, B. Koren. "Implementation and verification of the nonlinear viscoresistive full magnetohydrodynamic equations in the JOREK code."
- Hölzl, M., Merkel, P., Huysmans, G. T. A., Nardon, E., Strumberger, E., McAdams, R., ... & Lackner, K. (2012, December). Coupling jorek and starwall codes for non-linear resistive-wall simulations. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series (Vol. 401, No. 1, p. 012010). IOP Publishing.
- Huysmans, G. T. A., and O. Czarny. "MHD stability in X-point geometry: simulation of ELMs." Nuclear fusion 47.7 (2007): 659.
- Huysmans, G. T. A. "Implementation of an iterative solver in the non-linear MHD code JOREK."