Dr Janet Anders
Senior Lecturer (Education and Research)
I am a theoretical physicist and work in quantum information science. My research focuses on thermodynamic aspects of quantum systems; including thermodynamic processes in the quantum regime, quantum non-equilibrium processes, the link between information theory and thermodynamics (e.g. Landauer’s principle and Maxwell’s demon), and entanglement properties of thermal quantum states. Following undergraduate education in Germany and PhD studies in Singapore, I came to the UK in 2007 to join UCL. In 2009 I was awarded a prestigious Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin research fellowship that allowed me to work on an independent research programme. In 2013 I moved to the University of Exeter to take up a proleptic Lecturer position.
I am a member of the Electromagnetic and Acoustic Materials group.
Further details of my research projects can be found on the group webpage.
Funded Research Projects
Projects for which I am/was the Principal Investigator:
- "Thermodynamics in the quantum regime", EU COST office, 29/4/2013-30/4/2017, EUR520000
- "Dynamics of information in quantum many-body systems", Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Research Fellowship, 1/12/09-30/11/13, £459055.
- “Secure quantum cryptography with state tomography", Gottfried-Daimler-und-Karl-Benz-Foundation PhD scholarship, 2004-2007, ca. EUR18000.
- “Quantum and classical resources in measurement-based quantum computation” at the Theo Murphy meeting on Heterotic computing, Royal Society, Chicheley Hall, UK, Nov. 2013
- “Nanoscale temperature measurements using non-equilibrium Brownian dynamics of a levitated nanosphere”, LCN, London, UK, Oct. 2013
- “Thermodynamics of discrete quantum processes” at the Mathematical Challenges in Quantum Information workshop, Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK, Oct. 2013
- “Thermodynamics of discrete quantum processes” at the Mathematical Horizons for Quantum Physics workshop, IMS, Singapore, Sep. 2013
- “Equilibrium and non-equilibrium dynamics in the quantum regime", University of Oxford, UK, Oct. 2012
- “Landauer's erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum regime", Workshop on kT log 2 - Quantum Fluctuations and Information, Cuenca, Spain, May 2012
- “Landauer’s erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum domain”, University of Royal Holloway, UK, March 2012
- “Landauer’s erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum domain”, University of Bristol, UK, March 2012
- “The power of entanglement: Computation, Phase transitions and the 2nd law”, Duke University, Durham, USA, Dec. 2011
- “The power of quantum correlations in physics and computation”, NCCU, Durham, USA, Dec. 2011
- “Landauer's erasure principle in the strongly coupled quantum regime", Workshop on Quantum Information and Foundations of Thermodynamics, Zurich, Switzerland, Aug. 2011
- “Landauer's principle in the quantum domain", Workshop on New Trends in Quantum Dynamics & Entanglement, ICTP in Trieste, Italy, Feb. 2011
- “Ancilla-driven quantum computation and Landauer’s principle”, University of Cambridge, UK, Feb. 2011
- “Ancilla-driven quantum computation and Landauer’s principle”, University of Leeds, UK, Dec. 2010
- “Ancilla-driven universal quantum computation", QuPa meeting, Paris, France, May 2010
- “Quantum correlations, computation and phase transitions”, VUB&ULB, Brussels, Belgium, April 2010
- “Entanglement in many-body systems", 46th Karpacz Winter School of Theoretical Physics, Ladek Zdroj, Poland, Feb. 2010
- “Quantum Correlations”, University of Bonn, Germany, Nov. 2009
- “Quantum correlations, computation and (quantum) phase transitions”, MPI PKS, Dresden, Germany, Oct. 2009
- “Quantum correlations, computation and (quantum) phase transitions”, QuAmp conference 2009, Leeds, UK, Sep. 2009
- “The computational power of correlations", Workshop on Complexity Resources in Physical Computation, Oxford, UK, Aug. 2009
- “Coupled systems and their correlation properties", First workshop on Quantum Technology in Biological Systems, Singapore, Jan. 2009
- “Thermal state entanglement in harmonic lattices", Workshop on Non-equilibrium thermodynamics at the nanoscale, Augsburg, Germany, Sep. 2008
- “Macroscopic Entanglement, critical temperature and phase transitions", Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK, Dec. 2007
- “Macroscopic Entanglement and Phase Transitions", 38th Symposium on Mathematical Physics on Quantum Entanglement & Geometry, Torun, Poland, June 2006
- “Detecting entanglement with a thermometer", White Rose Meeting on Quantum Information Processing, York, UK, Nov. 2005
- Scientific adviser and interviewee for BBC Four TV programme “Order and Disorder: Information” (2012)
- Showcasing optical levitation experiment and discussing physics with festival goers, Cheltenham Science Festival (2012) and Oxford Science Festival (2012)
- Judge on panel for Royal Society Book Prize 2010
Contributions to the Community
- Chair of European COST network “Thermodynamics in the quantum regime” 2013 - 2017
- Chair of Juno committee for good practice at UCL Physics & Astronomy 2009 - 2011
- Reviewer for research journals in physics, mathematics and computer science
- Reviewer for EPSRC
Deutsche Physikalische Gemeinschaft (DPG) and Institute of Physics (IoP).
Prizes and Honours
- Visiting Fellowship of the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK (2013)
- Wilhelm und Else Heraeus Prize for outstanding graduation (2004)