Condensed matter theory
Research leads: Eros Mariani, Gyaneshwar Srivastava
We work on the analytical theory of correlated system in reduced dimensionality, with particular emphasis on atomically thin materials and topological metasurfaces.
In this vast area of research we are currently active in:
- Electronic quantum transport in graphene and other atomically thin materials
- Nano-electromechanical systems (NEMS) and superconducting suspended resonators
- Dirac metasurfaces and topological polaritonics
- Plasmonic resonances in metallic nanoparticles.
We also work on ab inito and semi-ab initio investigations of the physics of electrons and phonons in bulk (3D), surface (2D) and nanocomposite structures.
Specific topics include:
- electronic band structure
- phonon dispersion relations
- electron-electron, electron-phonon and phonon-phonon interactions
- thermal transport
- thermoelectric properties
- BCS superconductivity.