Teaching and research are key to our reputation. We provide high quality teaching, supervision, pastoral care and learning opportunities designed to challenge and bring out the very best of our students' intellectual and personal skills.
Physics and Astronomy is a dynamic teaching and research centre. For undergraduates we offer various Physics and Astronomy degree programmes. For postgraduates we offer an MPhil and PhD Physics with considerable flexibility concerning the precise area of research.
Our research is organised into four strong, internationally competitive research groups in key areas of :
Research-led teaching with enriched learning opportunities
- Physics at Exeter is ranked 8th in the UK for world leading and internationally excellent research1 making this a ground-breaking and exciting environment in which to study and learn from experts pushing the boundaries in their fields
- Our single Honours degrees are accredited by the Institute of Physics
- Undergraduate students can enhance their study by studying in Europe, North America or New Zealand or taking a paid industrial placement year
- Undergraduates can undertake a PhD-style project within a research group during the final two years of an MPhys
- Our weekly small-group tutorial system has been praised by the Quality Assurance Agency
Teaching and research facilities
- We have recently completed a £3 million refurbishment of the Physics Building, with a further £2 million planned, including new study areas and teaching laboratories, a new student services area and facilities including new imaging laboratories
- Our recent multi-million pound investment into facilities includes ultra fast lasers, nano-fabrication, bio-imaging, clean-rooms and computing facilities
- Further excellent facilities include an astronomical observatory, a new multiphoton microscopy and spectroscopy suite and a £1 million supercomputer
- The multi-million pound investment also includes £5 million to establish the Centre for Graphene Science and funding of £3 million to commercialise our anti-counterfeiting and electromagnetic materials research
- All facilities except our MRI centre are contained within the Physics Building, from teaching and research laboratories to seminar rooms and computing
The Physics Building stands on the highest part of possibly the most beautiful University campus in Britain, with views across the city to the sea and towards Dartmoor.
The campus provides everything a student may require from study and research facilities to sport and recreation with an active Students' Guild supporting a vast array of clubs and societies.
The 24 hour Forum Library with additional computer facilities is just a few steps away from the Physics building and the Sports Park, with its extensive indoor facilities and adjoining tennis courts and playing fields, is adjacent to the building.
There is an excellent range of student accommodation with a place guaranteed to all first-year undergraduate and international students who accept Exeter as their first choice. The Halls of residence include self-catering accommodation and are set on the perimeter of the campus, within an easy walk of the Physics building.
1 Research Assessment Exercise 2008 based on percentage of research categorised as 4* and 3*