FINAL CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: RECRUITMENT CLOSES on 30 July 2019.
Our next cohort will commence their PhD research and training programme in September 2019. Applications are made to the PhD programme as a whole, not to individual projects. However, we invite candidates to specify and discuss their interest in a specific project or multiple projects as part of the application process. Following discussions at interview, projects will be allocated to successful candidates when the studentship offer is made.
The following studentships have funding attached to the project (fees, stipend and research/training budget) and benefit from the sponsorship of an industrial sponsor.
- (*) All-dielectric beam control using dynamically-tuneable metasurfaces (3449)
- (†) Antenna efficiency and match manipulation using metamaterials (3442 - offer accepted)
- Chalcogenide-based memory and logic for flexible electronics applications (3447)
- (†) Design and Manufacture of Broadband 3D Multilayer Metamaterials for Microwave and mm-wave Application (3444)
- (†) Dynamically-tuneable optical metasurfaces for laser implosion fusion applications (3450)
- (†) Experimental topics in the manipulation of sound using metamaterials and metasurfaces (3441)
- (†) Exploring the space of electromagnetic materials, with applications to antenna design (3445 - offer accepted)
- (*) Leaky Wave Acoustics (3456)
- (†) Manipulating the coupling and scattering between surface waves and plane waves on metasurfaces, and at their discontinuities (3446 - offer accepted)
- Nanoscale 3D printing of next generation photonic devices (3443)
- (*) RF and mm-wave imaging using optical modulation (3448)
- (*) TEAM-A: New materials and structures that control the propagation of acoustic radiation (offer accepted)
- (*) TEAM-A: To model and manipulate material scatter effects to control the propagation of electromagnetic radiation (offer accepted)
- (†) Tensorial Impedance Surfaces for Antennas (3398) (offer accepted)
(*) Projects marked with an asterisk are limited to UK applicants only.
(†) Projects marked with a dagger are limited to UK and EU applicants only.
- Evaluation of spin-orbit torques in thin film magnetic materials and their use in driving topological structures (3395)
- "Hands-on" molecules: using microwave metamaterials as analogues of molecular systems (3367)
- Imaging at the tip of a needle: realising multimode fibre based micro-endoscopes (3365)
Information for international applicants
Studentships awarded to applicants from outside of the UK/EU will cover fees and RTSG only. The applicant will be expected to fund his/her own living expenses and the remaining fees for international students.
Most non-EEA students coming to study in the UK will need a Tier 4 visa - the UK's main 'student' visa category. Your Tier 4 visa will allow you to stay in the UK for the whole of your course and comes with both privileges and restrictions. Induction week (mid September) is a mandatory component of our PhD programme, so if you require a visa to study, it is a particularly important that you allow sufficient time for both the application and visa process.
Funding opportunities for international students can be found here.
Application deadline: 30 July 2019.
Application criteria: As outlined in the project description.
Shortlisting and the first interview normally takes place within 2 weeks of an individual's application, with a decision/offer made at the conclusion of the process. It is therefore advisable to apply as soon as possible. The application process is detailed in the project descriptions above.