PhD PROJECT APPLICATIONS FOR 2020
Application deadline 31 March 2020.
We currently have fully funded and self-funded projects available for start in September 2020.
- You must apply through the University application system.
- Applications via email cannot be accepted.
- Please read the application criteria as outlined in the projects linked below carefully before applying.
- Applications are made to the Metamaterials programme for a PhD in Physics/Engineering. We invite candidates to specify their project(s) of interest at the time of application.
- Following discussions at interview, projects will be allocated to successful candidates when the studentship offer is made.
Fully funded projects
Fees, stipend and research/training budget are provided by the CDT with sponsorship of an industrial partner:
- (*) All-dielectric beam control using dynamically-tuneable metasurfaces (3449)
- (†) Design and Manufacture of Broadband 3D Multilayer Metamaterials for Microwave and mm-wave Application (3444)
- (†) Dynamically-tuneable optical metasurfaces for laser implosion fusion applications (3450)
- (†) Experimental topics in the manipulation of sound using metamaterials and metasurfaces (3441)
- (*) Leaky Wave Acoustics (3456)
- Quantum technologies to advance the integration of single photon emitters in photonic structures (3802)
- (†) Tensorial Impedance Surfaces for Antennas (3398)
(*) Projects marked with an asterisk are limited to UK applicants only. (†) Projects marked with a dagger are limited to UK and EU applicants only.
Here are also some project ideas if you're looking to apply to one of the Doctoral College PhD studentships and are stuck for supervisors and a research project to put down as part of your proposal.
Information for international applicants
Most non-EEA students coming to study in the UK will need a Tier 4 visa - the UK's main 'student' visa category. Your Tier 4 visa will allow you to stay in the UK for the whole of your course and comes with both privileges and restrictions.
As outlined in the project description (see links above).
Shortlisting and the first interview normally takes place within 2 weeks of an individual's application, with a decision/offer made at the conclusion of the process. It is therefore advisable to apply as soon as possible. The application process is detailed in the project descriptions linked above.