Our next cohort will commence their PhD research and training programme in September 2019. Applications are made to the PhD programme as a whole, not to individual projects. However, we invite candidates to specify and discuss their interest in a specific project or multiple projects as part of the application process. Following discussions at interview, projects will be allocated to successful candidates when the studentship offer is made.
The following studentships have funding attached to the project (fees, stipend and research/training budget) and benefit from the sponsorship of an industrial sponsor.
- (*) All-dielectric beam control using dynamically-tuneable metasurfaces (3449)
- (†) Antenna efficiency and match manipulation using metamaterials (3442)
- Chalcogenide-based memory and logic for flexible electronics applications (3447)
- (†) Design and Manufacture of Broadband 3D Multilayer Metamaterials for Microwave and mm-wave Application (3444)
- (†) Dynamically-tuneable optical metasurfaces for laser implosion fusion applications (3450)
- (†) Experimental topics in the manipulation of sound using metamaterials and metasurfaces (3441)
- (†) Exploring the space of electromagnetic materials, with applications to antenna design (3445)
- (†) Manipulating the coupling and scattering between surface waves and plane waves on metasurfaces, and at their discontinuities (3446)
- (*) TEAM-A: New materials and structures that control the propagation of acoustic radiation (interviewing)
- (†) Tensorial Impedance Surfaces for Antennas (3398)
- (*) TEAM-A: To model and manipulate material scatter effects to control the propagation of electromagnetic radiation (interviewing)
- (*) Leaky Wave Acoustics (3456)
(*) Projects marked with an asterisk are limited to UK applicants only.
(†) Projects marked with a dagger are limited to UK and EU applicants only.
- Evaluation of spin-orbit torques in thin film magnetic materials and their use in driving topological structures (3395)
- "Hands-on" molecules: using microwave metamaterials as analogues of molecular systems (3367)
- Imaging at the tip of a needle: realising multimode fibre based micro-endoscopes (3365)
- Topological polaritons in atomically thin metasurfaces (3364)
Information for international applicants
Studentships awarded to applicants from outside of the UK/EU will cover fees and RTSG only. The applicant will be expected to fund his/her own living expenses and the remaining fees for international students.
International applicants seeking a scholarship are advised to consider the Global Excellence Scholarships scheme (deadline 4 March), and to contact firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of any application. Sanctuary Scholarships (deadline 17 May 2019) to enable individuals seeking asylum and refugees who are not able access student finance to study at the University of Exeter, are also available.
Application deadline: 30 April 2019.
Application criteria: As outlined in the project description.
Interviews are expected to start in February 2019. It is therefore advisable to apply as soon as possible.