Prof Peter Cox
Professor - Climate System Dynamics
Telephone: 01392 725220
Extension: (Streatham) 5220
- Professor of Climate System Dynamics within the Climate Dynamics group of Mathematics.
- CEMPS Deputy Associate Dean for Research for REF & Impact.
- Co-Director of Research for 'Earth System & Environmental Sciences (UoA7)'.
- Academic lead/sponsor for the Undergraduate Grand Challenges programme.
- Holder of an ERC Advanced Grant (ECCLES).
- Member of the Science Advisory Council for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
- Lead-author for the 6th Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
Current research interests
- Emergent Constraints on Earth System Sensitivities (ECCLES ERC project).
- Theoretical relationships between climate variability and climate sensitivity (ECCLES ERC project)
- Vegetation Dynamics and Demography (developing the RED model)
- Improving the representation of land-surafce processes in JULES (e.g. SOX model).
Publications and citations
- Dr Sarah Chadburn (Permafrost Modelling - NERC fellowship).
- Dr Jon Moore (Vegetation Demography and Data Analysis - ERC ECCLES project).
- Dr Paul Ritchie (Tipping Points and Emergent Constraints - ERC ECCLES roject).
- Dr Mark Williamson (Theoretical Basis for Emergent Constraints - EU CRESCENDO project).
Associated PhD students
- Arthur Argles (Vegetation Demography and Disturbance - College/Met Office studentship).
- Simon Jones (Non-structural carbohydrates in JULES - Anna Harper's student).
- Rebecca Millington (Biodiversity and Ecosystem Resilience - QUEX studentship).
- Femke Nijsse (Theroretical Basis for Emergent Constraints - ERC ECCLES project).
- Beccy Varney (Emergent Constraints on the Terrestrial Carbon Cycle - ERC ECCLES project).
Working groups, committees and wider recognition
- Lead-author on the IPCC AR4, AR5 and AR6 reports.
- Member of the REF2014 panel for UoA7 (2011-2014).
- Member of the NERC Science Board (2014-2017).
- Highly-cited author in Geosciences in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017.
- Winner of Royal Met Soc Adrian Gill Award 2007
- "What if?", internet trailer, March 2019
- "The Tipping Points" - various countries, 2014.
- "High Anxieties: The Mathematics of Chaos" - BBC4, 14th October 2008
- "Climate Change: Britain Under Threat" - BBC1, 21st January 2007
- "Dimming the Sun" - PBS, 5th August 2006
- "Can We Save Planet Earth" - BBC1, 31st May 2006
- "Are We Changing Planet Earth" - BBC1, 24th May 2006
- "Global Dimming" - BBC1, Horizon, February 2005
- "The Venus Theory" - Finnish TV, 2004
- "The Day the Ocean Boiled" - Channel 4, Equinox, June 2001
Until September 2006, Prof Cox was the Science Director - Climate Change at the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, and prior to that he was at the Hadley Centre for Climate prediction and Research (1990-2004).