Dr Jan Sieber
Senior Lecturer (Education and Research)
Telephone: 01392 723973
Extension: (Streatham) 3973
Member of Centre for Systems, Dynamics and Control
Position available (21 Nov 2016):
working on general mathematical methods that will enable experimenters and modellers to discover and track unstable phenomena in laboratory experiments and complex model simulations.Current and past PhD students
- Paul D. Ritchie (since 2013) Noise- and rate-induced tipping
- Courtney Quinn (since 2015) Delay effects in palaeoclimate time series and climate models, part of the EU Innovative Training Network CRITICS
Lectures by Michael Thompson on Nonlinear Dynamics can be found on www.culive.org.
Download page of DDE-BIFTOOL on Sourceforge
Climate tipping (papers)
- Theme Issue of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series A on Influence of Nonlinearity and Randomness in Climate Prediction, (Link to Preprint collection)
- Talks: Newton Institute (video, Cambridge 2010, go one level up for more talks), ICIAM (slides only, Vancouver 2011),
Continuation for experiments (papers)
- Introductory Physical Review Focus article by Mike Wofsey covering the first test on real pendulum experiment (also featuring small videos).
- The basic mathematics behind it explained for a simple mechanical experiment (with animation but only based on numerical simulations).
- The method has been used in a more advanced experiment with an energy harvesting mechanical oscillator recently by David Barton.
Delay-differential equations (papers)
- Introductory poster (pdf) on delay effects in balancing
- Current maintainer of DDE-BIFTOOL, a numerical continuation software for delay-differential equations. Links:
- Download newest version: sourceforge.net/projects/ddebiftool.
- Documentation: http://ddebiftool.sourceforge.net.
- Original website at KU Leuven keeping versions up to 3.0: http://twr.cs.kuleuven.be/research/software/delay/ddebiftool.shtml
- Colleagues: Prof. Bernd Krauskopf
Bifurcations of smooth and piecewise smooth systems (papers)
- Numerical continuation software SLIDECONT source and manual
- Colleagues and projects: Filippov system solver (by Petri Piiroinen)
- General purpose: efficient scripting interface for AUTO: RAUTO (by Frank Schilder)
- Material from LDSG Graduate School 05/06: lecture slides, supporting material
Nonlinear dynamics in semiconductor lasers (papers)(subject of my PhD thesis). Links concerning laser dynamics in Berlin:
- webpage for the research group Laser dynamics at the WIAS
- homepage of Ede Wünsche (german, Physics Dept. HU Berlin)
- Numerics of differential-algebraic equations (subject of my master thesis)
- EPSRC Grant EP/J010820/1 Control-based bifurcation analysis for experiments (2012-2014)
- EU Innovative Training Network CRITICS (European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement number 643073, 2015-2018)
- EPSRC Fellowship EP/N023544/1 Exploring instability in complex systems - simulations in no-man's land (2017-2021)
- ASPIRE Fellow of the Higher Education Academy