Dr Jan Sieber
Dr Jan Sieber
Telephone: 01392 723973
Extension: (Streatham) 3973
Member of Centre for Systems, Dynamics and ControlCurrent and former PhD students
- Paul D. Ritchie (started 2013, graduated 2016) Noise- and rate-induced tipping
- Courtney Quinn (started 2015) Delay effects in palaeoclimate time series and climate models, part of the EU Innovative Training Network CRITICS
- EPSRC Fellowship EP/N023544/1 Exploring instability in complex systems - simulations in no-man's land (2017-2021)
- EU Innovative Training Network CRITICS (European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement number 643073, 2015-2018)
- EPSRC Grant EP/J010820/1 Control-based bifurcation analysis for experiments (2012-2014)
Lectures by Michael Thompson on Nonlinear Dynamics can be found on www.culive.org.
Download page of DDE-BIFTOOL on Sourceforge
Climate tipping (papers)
- Theme Issue of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Series A on Influence of Nonlinearity and Randomness in Climate Prediction, (Link to Preprint collection)
- Talks: Newton Institute (video, Cambridge 2010, go one level up for more talks), ICIAM (slides only, Vancouver 2011),
Continuation for experiments (papers)
- Introductory Physical Review Focus article by Mike Wofsey covering the first test on real pendulum experiment (also featuring small videos).
- The basic mathematics behind it explained for a simple mechanical experiment (with animation but only based on numerical simulations).
- The method has been used in a more advanced experiment with an energy harvesting mechanical oscillator recently by David Barton.
Delay-differential equations (papers)
- Introductory poster (pdf) on delay effects in balancing
- Current maintainer of DDE-BIFTOOL, a numerical continuation software for delay-differential equations. Links:
- Download newest version: sourceforge.net/projects/ddebiftool.
- Documentation: http://ddebiftool.sourceforge.net.
- Original website at KU Leuven keeping versions up to 3.0: http://twr.cs.kuleuven.be/research/software/delay/ddebiftool.shtml
- Colleagues: Prof. Bernd Krauskopf
Bifurcations of smooth and piecewise smooth systems (papers)
- Numerical continuation software SLIDECONT source and manual
- Colleagues and projects: Filippov system solver (by Petri Piiroinen)
- General purpose: efficient scripting interface for AUTO: RAUTO (by Frank Schilder)
- Material from LDSG Graduate School 05/06: lecture slides, supporting material
Nonlinear dynamics in semiconductor lasers (papers)(subject of my PhD thesis). Links concerning laser dynamics in Berlin:
- webpage for the research group Laser dynamics at the WIAS
- homepage of Ede Wünsche (german, Physics Dept. HU Berlin)
- Numerics of differential-algebraic equations (subject of my master thesis)
- ASPIRE Fellow of the Higher Education Academy