Dr Houry Melkonian
Lecturer in Mathematics (Education & Scholarsh
Tel: (+) 01326 213858
I obtained a BSc (Hons.) in Mathematics (2006), a Diploma in Mathematical Analysis (2008), a MSc in Functional Analysis (Research based, 2010) at the University of Aleppo, a MSc in Applied Mathematical Sciences (Taught and Research, 2012), a PhD in Mathematics (2017) at Heriot-Watt University where I worked with Dr. Lyonell Boulton on my Thesis: "Bases Properties of Sequences of Dilated Periodic Functions in Banach and Hilbert Spaces".
From October 2014 until May 2018, I held the position of Associate Lecturer in Mathematics at the Edinburgh International College (EIC) of Napier University. From November 2014 until June 2018 (after the successful completion of the Learning and Development Skills programme (LEADS) accredited by the UK Higher Education Academy), I had the role of an Approved Exam Marker within the Department of Mathematics at Heriot-Watt University's different campuses (Edinburgh, Dubai and China). From September 2013 until September 2017, I was appointed as an Academic Teacher in Mathematics at the International Study Centre of the University of Strathclyde. From June 2017 until September 2017 I held the role of a Curriculum and a VLE Developer in Mathematics at the International Study Centre of Durham University for the Pre-Masters Programme in Business, Economics, Accounting and Finance. As of July 2018, I became a Lecturer in Mathematics at the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter.
I am research active in the areas of harmonic analysis, functional analysis, operator theory, several complex variables and spaces of analytic function.
Awards and Recognitions
- North British Mathematical Seminar (NBFAS) support to build up a historical archive for the development of the NBFAS, Aug 2018 - present;
- Global Platform Research Scholarship awarded by Heriot-Watt University, Oct 2013 - Oct 2015;
- Ministry of Higher Education Scholarship awarded by the University of Aleppo, Sep 2011 - Sep 2012;
- The London Mathematical Society (LMS) prize of the best talk, LMS-Graduate Student Meeting; BMA House, London, Nov 2016
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in UK, Feb 2015 - Present
Talks Delivered at National and International Conferences/Workshops
- Invited speaker at the Analysis and PDEs seminar at the University of Sussex, Brighton, 11 Feb. 2019 (upcoming);
- Invited speaker at the Functional Analysis seminar at the University of Oxford, Oxford, 26 Feb. 2019 (upcoming);
- Promoting dialogic learning and teaching conference; University of Cambridge, Cambridge, 2019 (upcoming);
- Invited speaker at the North British Functional Analysis Seminar (NBFAS) at the University of Oxford, Oxford, Nov 1-2 2018.
- British Mathematical Colloquium 2018 (Speed Lectures) at the University of St Andrews, St Andrews, June 2018;
- 50th Anniversary meeting of the North British Functional Analysis Seminar at the International Centre of Mathematical Sciences (ICMS), Edinburgh, April 2018;
- Young Functional Analysts Workshop (YFAW) 2017 at the University of Glasgow, Glasgow, March 2017;
- Analysis Seminar at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, March 2017;
- Graduate Student Meeting of London Mathematical Society (LMS) at the BMA House, London, 11th of Nov 2016 [where I was awarded the LMS prize of the best talk];
- 27th Nordic Congress of Mathematicians at Stockholm University, Sweden, March 2016;
- MACS Christmas Conference 2015 at Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Dec. 2015;
- PhD Graduate Seminar; Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Nov 2015;
- International Conference in Harmonic Analysis and Approximations at Yerevan State University, Armenia, Sep 2015;
- Edinburgh/Heriot-Watt Joint PG Colloquium at the International Centre of Mathematical Sciences (ICMS), Edinburgh, April 2014;
- PhD Graduate Seminar; Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, Dec 2013
- European Women in Mathematics (EWM), Sep 2017 - Present
- London Mathematical Society (LMS), Nov 2016 - Present
- British Society for the History of Mathematics (BSHM), Sep 2016 - Present
- Edinburgh Mathematical Society (EMS), Sep 2012 - Present
- American Mathematical Society (AMS), Jan 2016 - Present