Mr Michael Wood
Telephone: 01392 724160
Extension: (Streatham) 4160
Mike Wood is undertaking a PhD supervised by Dr. Matt Eames looking at overheating in buildings, particularly during extreme weather and future heatwaves. He was previously an Associate Research Fellow at the Centre and was involved in a wide variety of building projects for local authorities and commercial clients. Mike has produced case study reports on the acoustic design of school buildings for national government and has provided design advice and assessments for many building projects.
- Mathematical Modelling
- Environmental and Building Acoustics
- Thermal Performance of Buildings
- Renewable Energy in Schools
- Building Performance Monitoring
Qualifications and Responsibilities
- Member of the Institute of Acoustics (MIOA)
- Committee member of the Building Acoustics Group (Institute of Acoustics)
- Member of the CIBSE School Design Group
Selected Project Experience
- Department for Education – A case study review of the six new school buildings to review the success of the current school’s acoustic criteria. Presented findings in the proceedings of Institute of Acoustics & Belgium Acoustical Society “Noise in the Built Environment”, Ghent, 29-30 April 2010.
- British Gypsum – Review of performance of acoustic ceiling tiles including, acoustic performance, environmental impact and durability.
- Exeter City Council – Design advice for acoustics for the redevelopment of Montgomery Primary School, addressing the specific problems of achieving high quality acoustics in a zero carbon school.
- Cornwall Council – Investigated the renewable energy potential of 28 schools in Cornwall.
- Cornwall Council – lead a review of the current stock of Building Energy Management Systems with recommendations for future
- Cornwall Council – Completed a post-construction review of four school buildings that examined acoustics, thermal comfort, ventilation and energy use. Further work is to include, is
- Cornwall Council – Assisted in developing waste management targets for major construction projects.
- Devon County Council – Investigation of wind-related bridge noise at a location in South Devon
- Devon County Council – Investigation of high-frequency electromagnetic fields generated by mobile phone transmitters, particularly those in close proximity to school buildings. Benchmarking exposure against ICNIRP Guidelines
- Various projects – designing and testing buildings for meeting approved document E of the building regulations (Resistance to the passage of sound). BAA – Redevelopment of spreadsheet for auditing emissions from transport
- Various Projects – Modelling, measurement and design for environmental noise mitigation from roads and railways. Experience in using acoustic modelling software (IMMI by Wolfel) for design and planning reports (PPG24) Numerous acoustic assessments to national and international standards (BS 4142, BB 93, PPG24 etc.)