- The EOS P800 is the first Additive Layer Manufacturing (ALM) System which can process high temperature thermoplastics.
- This system is a powdered bed process, scanning each layer using a CO2 Laser. It has a build volume of 700 x 380 x 580mm (x, y, z).
- Materials: Unreinforced PolyEtherKetone (PEK), semi crystalline high performance thermoplastic material.
- Applications: high strength and stiffness as well as good ductility at higher temperatures. Chemically resistant to aggressive environments, suitable for sterilization for medical and food contact applications.
- CALM is proud to be the first owners of an ALM system like this within the UK.
EOS P100 Formiga
- The EOS P100 was first released in 2008 with the focus of manufacturing in mind. The P100 is designed for easy of material change, part manufacture and repeatability.
- This system is a powdered bed process, scanning each layer using a CO2 Laser. It has a build volume of 200 x 250 x 330mm (x, y, z).
- Materials: High performance thermoplastic; either polyamide 11 or 12, reinforced or unreinforced.
- Applications: Ideally used to manufacture parts for functional testing, design communication and tooling applications. Can withstand high mechanical and thermal loads.
DTM 2000 SinterStation
- The DTM 2000 was one of the first Laser Sintering (LS) systems released in the late 1980s.
- It has now been superseded, however the basic fundamentals of LS are still the same and this system is used as a research tool to develop new materials and understanding of the LS process.
- It has a build volume of 320mm in diameter and 380mm high.
Stratasys Dimension 768
- This FDM system deposits material through an extrusion head layer by layer following a deposition path.
- It has a build volume of 203 x 203 x 305mm (x, y, z).
- Materials: Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)
- Applications: Ideally used to manufacture parts for functional testing, design communication, tooling and final part applications. It also has FDA certified one of its materials for medical devices.
3D Systems Projet HD 3000
- This FDM system produces components within hours, creating highly defined details on parts using 3D printing techniques to deposit material onto a platform, building up the part layer by layer.
- It has a build volume of 300 x 185 x 200mm (x, y, z).
- Materials: A range of Acrylate thermoplastics
- Applications: Ideally used to manufacture parts for functional testing, design communication and tooling applications. Material can also be used to cast.
Freeman FT4 Powder Rheometer
- The FT4 Powder Rheometer is used to characterise the rheology or flow properties of powders.
- It is able to measure the bulk properties such as density, compressibility and permeability as well as the powder's resistance to flow, whilst also analysing shear strength and quantifying how a powder shears with respect to the surfaces of process equipment.
Materials processing and manufacturing
Battenfeld HM40/130 - Thermoplastics
Battenfeld HM45/130 - Thermosets
|Compression moulding / hot press
Lab Tech LP-S-50 hydraulic press
BYTEC hydraulic press
|Compounding / extrusion
Chareon Tut twin screw extruder with side feed
Rondol single screw extruders
|SMC (Sheet moulding compound)
Lab scale SMC facilities
|Ovens / furnaces
Vacuum Oven: Binder - room temperature to 250°C
High temperature oven with purge/protective gas: Carbolite, room temperature to 450°C
Box furnace: Carbolite up to 1100°C
Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC)
Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA)
Dynamic Mechanical Analyis (DMA)
- Alpha FTIR system with Platinum ATR setup
- Sentinel Raman
- Matrix NIR
- Vector 22 MIR
Zeiss - Axioplan2 Optical Microscope
Standard stereo microscope (60x) with external fibre optic light source
Digital camera imagery system with application software
- Discovery Hybrid Rheometer HR-1, with Peltier and parallel plate attachments
- AR2000 Rotational Rheometer
Powder Rheometer: Freeman Technology FT4
Taylor Hobson: Talyscan 150
Brabender Aquatrac polymer moisture content measurement
|Universal materials testing
- Lloyd LR300k Universal Materials Testing Machine- 300 kN maximum load
- Lloyd EZ20 Universal Materials Testing Machine - 20 kN maximum load
- Lloyd Laserscan 200 Extensometer
- Lloyd EX 800 ExtensometerThermal Chamber (-70°C to 300°C)
- Instron CEAST 9350 drop tower
- CEAST resil pendulum impact tester
The Imaging Suite, located in The College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences at the University of Exeter offers SEM, TEM, AFM, CT and XRD facilities for experimental applications at micro and nano scale. See the imaging suite webpages for more information.