Watch our video to learn more about the Centre, including views from current students.
The Centre for Water Systems offers you an opportunity to get involved in one of our postgraduate research programmes. Your studies will enable you to carry out in-depth research in your area of interest and at the same time you will have a chance to meet interesting people! At the moment, we offer following study areas:
- 2nd for General Engineering in the National Student Survey (2013)1
- Top 10 for General Engineering in The Guardian and The Times and Sunday Times 2014 University Guides
- A truly interdisciplinary approach to engineering research, enhanced by strong industrial links
- Professionally accredited MSc in Advanced Civil Engineering and MSc in Engineering Management with four specialist pathways
- MSc in Water Management linked to a major research centre
1 Based on the average percentage of positive responses across all survey categories for full service universities
I was 41 years old, I hated my job and, worse than that, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I had a BSc in Mathematics and I thought that, if I got a Masters degree, it would show potential employers that I was willing to learn something new. So, I had a look on the University of Exeter website and found the MSc in Urban Water Systems. I didn't know what exactly it was but the course seemed interesting; so, I decided to give it a go.
On the first day of the course, I knew I had made the right decision. The course is both engineering-based and concerned with the environment; it is grounded in the real world and it gives you the opportunity to make a difference.
One of my colleagues on the course works for Pell Frischmann (engineering consultants) and, at the end of the first year, he said they were looking to recruit and asked if I was interested. I went for an interview and was offered a job as a graduate engineer. The course is highly regarded by the industry and my employers are constantly looking for new ways to make use of my skills.
The Centre for Water Systems changed my life. I now love my job; I love doing something I value and enjoy.