Dr Weiguo Xie
Lecturer in Mineral Processing
Dr. Weiguo Xie is a Lecturer in Mineral Processing at Camborne School of Mines, College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences, University of Exeter. He received his BSc (1996) and MSc (1999) in chemical engineering from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China. He has been awarded his PhD in chemical engineering in 2002 at UMIST, Manchester, UK.
His main research interests are mathematical modelling, simulation, optimisation, measurement and control in mineral processing and chemical engineering. He developed an ERT system for on-line measurement and prediction of coalescence in flowing foams. He developed optical fibre chemical sensor-based on-line systems for the monitoring of structural concrete. He has also developed two novel measurement techniques (Piezoelectric Vibration Sensor and Electrical Resistance Tomography) for turbulence in flotation cells. He developed software for non-linear reconstruction of ERT on-line systems, software for optical fibre chemical sensor-based on-line monitoring systems, modelled complex heterogeneous reactions on STAR-CD software, optimisation and advanced MPC (model predictive control) algorithms for large-scale process systems. He has developed an IsaMill model and dynamic models for AG/SAG Mill and Ball Mill.
- Chartered Engineer, CEng
- Member of IChemE (Institution of Chemical Engineering)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Chartered Process Engineer in Australia
CURRENT AND PREVIOUS RESEARCH PROJECTS:
- IMP@CT (H2020-SC5): Integrated Modular Plant and Containerized Tools for Selective, Low-impact mining of Small High-grade Deposits.
- OPTIMORE (H2020): Optimize the crushing, milling and separation ore processing technologies for Tungsten and Tantalum mineral processing.
- AMIRA P9P Project: The Optimisation of Mineral Processes by Modelling and Simulation. P9P-MILL5: Integrated Comminution Model Platform. P9P-SIM1: Simulation Platform Development. P9P-FMD2: Modelling Cell Hydrodynamics in a Mechanical Flotation Cell. P9P-Mill3: Ball Mill Model.
- EC (European Commission) FP7 (Seventh Framework Programme) project: CAFÉ [KBBE-212754] (i.e. Computer-aided food processes for control engineering).
- EC (European Commission) FP6 (Sixth Framework Programme) Project: CONNECT [COOP-2006-31638] (i.e. Design of Advanced Controllers for Economic, Robust and Safe Manufacturing Performance).
- Computational modelling for complex heterogeneous reactions on STAR-CD software.
- EPSRC project (GR/R42979/01): Development & Validation of Fibre Optic Sensor-Based Monitoring System for Chemical Variations in Concrete.