Mr Sam Hughes
PhD title - The Tectonomagmatic Evolution of the Land's End Granite
I am a postgraduate research student at CSM, working towards a PhD in earth resources. My research focus is on understanding tectonomagmatic controls on granite pluton construction and the processes leading to the magmatic-hydrothermal transition. My research area is in west Cornwall, focusing on the Land's End Granite.
The objective of this study is broken down in to three main aims:
- Evaluate the role of regional tectonics on granite emplacement
- Assess the magmatic evolution of the pluton roof zone
- Model the paragenetic evolution of the magmatic-hydrothermal transition
- Magmatic evolution of granite systems, and the transition from magmatic to hydrothermal processes leading to the formation of magmatic-hydrothermal ore deposits
- Structural controls on pluton construction and the role of regional tectonics
- Variscan and post-Variscan tectonic evolution of SW England
- Devonian / Carboniferous basin development in SW England
- Historical and contemporaneous mining in Cornwall and west Devon
Conferences and Publications
- Hughes, S.P. and Shail, R.K. (2016). The Northern Contact Zone of the Land’s End Granite – Late-Variscan Tectonic Evolution and Granite Emplacement. (Presented at the Ussher Society Conference 2016 in Weymouth)
- Rollinson, G., Le Boutillier, N.G., Simons, B., Yeomans, C. and Hughes, S.P. (2016). Trevalganite and belowdanite - hydrothermal replacement of granites in Cornwall? Poster presentation presented at the Ussher Society Conference 2016 in Weymouth)
- Eurogranites 2014 field excursion, SW England; July 2014 (attended and co-organised)
- Shail, R. K., Scrivener, R. C., Simons, B. J., Müller, A., Andersen, J. C., Williamson, B. J., Halls, C. & Hughes, S. P. 2014a. Early Permian post-Variscan magmatism. In: Shail, R. K., Andersen, J. C., Simons, B. J. & Williamson, B. J. (eds) Eurogranites 2014: Granites and mineralisation of SW England Field Excursion Guidebook, 14-35
- Müller, A., Hughes, S.P. and Halls, C. (2014). Land’s End Granite. In: Shail, R. K., Andersen, J. C., Simons, B. J. & Williamson, B. J. (eds) Eurogranites 2014: Granites and mineralisation of SW England Field Excursion Guidebook, 95-111
- Sullivan, R. E., Shail, R. K. & Hughes, S. P. (2013). The tectonics of early stage Cornubian Batholith construction and mineralisation as viewed from the NW margin of the Isles of Scilly pluton (abstract). Geoscience in South-West England, 13, 246.
- Hughes, S. P. & Williamson, B. J. (2013). The application of titanium-in-quartz geothermometry to the Land’s End Granite and associated mineralisation (abstract). Geoscience in South-West England, 13, 244. (Presented at the Ussher Society Conference 2013 in St Ives)
- Variscan 2012 conference in Sassari, Sardinia; May 2012 (attended only).
- Hughes, S. P., Stickland, R. J., Shail, R. K., LeBoutillier, N. G., Alexander, A. C. & Thomas, M. (2009). The chronology and kinematics of late Palaeozoic deformation in the NW contact metamorphic aureole of the Land's End Granite. Geoscience in South-West England, 12, 140-152 (PDF)
- Hughes, S.P., Stickland, R.J., Shail, R.K., (2008).The kinematics and chronology of D3 deformation and its relation to emplacement of the Land’s End Granite. Poster presentation. (Presented at the 46th Annual Ussher Society Conference)