Dr Patrick Foster
Mine Manager and Senior Lecturer in Mining Engineering
Telephone: 01326 371828
Dr Patrick Foster is a Senior Lecturer in Mining Engineering at the Camborne School of Mines where he lectures and undertakes research into the health, safety and working environment aspects of mining and quarrying. His particular research interests are in safety management systems, human factors, risk management, surveying and underground communications. He is also the Statutory Mine manager for the CSM Test Mine.
He graduated in Mining Engineering from the University of Nottingham and continued there to undertake a PhD looking into safety risk assessment in the mining industry supported by British Coal. He then joined International Mining Consultants Ltd as a Mine Safety Consultant where he was involved in health & safety management system audits, risk assessment training and research in the UK, India and South Africa.
Professional Body Membership & Qualifications
- Chartered Engineer
- Chartered Health & Safety Practitioner (CMIOSH)
- Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining
- Fellow of the Mine Ventilation Society of South Africa
- Member of the Insitute of Quarrying
- Council Member - Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining (2003-2009, 2011-present)
- Council Member - Mining Association of the United Kingdom (2008 - present)
- President - Cornish Institute of Engineers (2012 - present)
- Chair - Mining Technology Division of IOM3 (2011-present)
- Member - HSE Quarry National Joint Advisory Committee (2001-present)
- Member - HSE Safety in Mines Research Advisory Board (2009-present)
- Member of DTI (UKT&I) Mining Trade Advisory Group (2003-2006)
- Member of DTI UK-Queensland Mining Working Group (UKT&I) (2005/6)
2000 to present: Senior Lecturer in Mining Engineering Camborne School of Mines
Lecturing and Research in health, safety and working environmental aspects of Mining Engineering.
- Lecture subjects include surveying, fluid mechanics & thermodynamics, health & safety legislation & management, mine ventilation.
- Research interests are: Safety Risk Management Techniques & Applications, Human Factors and Ergonomics, HS&E Management Systems and their effectiveness, Behavioural Safety
2002 to present: Statutory Mine Manager, CSM Test Mine
1996 - 2000: International Mining Consultants Ltd
Based in the UK and South Africa. Work included consultancy, project management and contract research on several major mining projects both in the UK and internationally. These have included:
- Study of the health and safety management provisions of Indian coal mines as part of a World Bank funded programme to improve the Environmental and Social management of India’s coal mining operations.
- Auditing the health and safety systems of mines in the UK against the requirements of UK legislation and international best practice.
- Undertaking Initial Status reviews against the requirements of BS8800/OHSAS18001 in South African coal mining operations (both surface and underground).
- Research studying the efficiency of mining transport operations, application of virtual reality to mining operations, safety of remote control mining operations & the safe application of small incline and vertical winder systems.
- Business development in health & safety for IMC Knight Piesold Joint Venture in South Africa.
- Design and implementation of a corporation wide health and safety risk management system for a major South African mining house.