Dr Claudio Vanneschi
Graduate Research Assistant
Research activity mainly concerns geological applications of geomatic techniques. It focuses on the integrated use of remote sensing techniques for remote geotechnical data collection, three-dimensional reconstruction and geotechnical characterisation of rock masses finalised to the optimization of mining operations (open pit and underground mines) thorugh combined use of different numerical modelling methods and GIS-based analyses.
Research also includes risk assessment and management of natural and engineered slopes using integrated monitoring systems (Automatic Total Station, InSAR, LiDAR, UAV, Geotechnical instrumentation) and 3D rockfall runout analysis investigations.
Currently involved in the European Union research and innovation project: SLOPES.
Research focuses on the use of novel application of remote methods for characterisation of rock masses and excavation geometry in order to optimise extraction of mineral resources through 3D numerical modelling stability analysis for the evaluation of potential risks of mines and surrounding areas.
Previous work and education:
- January 2016 - July 2016. Associate Research Fellow at University of Exeter, Camborne School of Mines, Cornwall Campus, Cornwall (UK).
- November 2012 - November 2015. PhD in Earth, Environmental and Polar Sciences. University of Siena and Centre for GeoTechnologies (Italy).
- January 2015 - July 2015. Visiting PhD student at University of Exeter. Camborne School of Mines, Cornwall Campus, Penryn, Cornwall (UK).
- October 2009 - April 2012. Master of Science with honours in Engineering Geology. Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences, University of Siena - Centre for GeoTechnologies (Italy).
- July 2011 - January 2012. Occupational Trainee at Monash University, Melbourne (Australia). Monash University 3800, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Department of Civil Engineering, Clayton Campus.
- October 2005 - December 2009. Bachelors degree in Geotechnologies. Faculty of Mathematical, Physical and Natural Sciences, University of Siena - Centre for GeoTechnologies (Italy).
Published in Refereed Journals and Book Chapters
- Salvini R., Mastrorocco G., Esposito G., Di Bartolo S., Coggan J., Vanneschi C., (2017) Use of a remotely piloted aircraft system for hazard assessment in a rocky mining area (Lucca, Italy). Submitted to Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences.
- Vanneschi C., Eyre M., Francioni M., Coggan J., (2017). The Use of Remote Sensing Techniques for Monitoring and Characterization of Slope Instability. Procedia Engineering, 191, 150-157. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.05.166.
- Mastrorocco G., Salvini R., Vanneschi C., (2017) - Fracture mapping in challenging environment: a 3D virtual reality approach combining terrestrial LiDAR and high definition images. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10064-017-1030-7.
- Salvini R., Mastrorocco G., Seddaiu M., Rossi D., Vanneschi C., (2016) - The use of an unmanned aerial vehicle for fracture mapping within a marble quarry (Carrara, Italy): photogrammetry and discrete fracture network modelling. Geomatics, Natural Hazards and Risk. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19475705.2016.1199053.
- Salvini R., Vanneschi C., Riccucci S., Francioni M., Gullì D., (2015) - Application of an integrated geotechnical and topographic monitoring system in the Lorano marble quarry (Apuan Alps, Italy). Geomorphology, 241, 209-223. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.geomorph.2015.04.009.
- Francioni M., Salvini R., Stead D., Giovannini R., Riccucci S., Vanneschi C., Gullì D., (2015) - An integrated remote sensing-GIS approach for the analysis of an open pit in the Carrara marble district, Italy: slope stability assessment through kinematic and numerical methods. Computers and Geotechnics, 67, 46-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2015.02.009.
- Vanneschi C., Salvini R., Massa G., Riccucci S., Borsani A., (2014) - Geological 3D modeling for excavation activity in an underground marble quarry in the Apuan Alps (Italy). Computers & Geosciences, 69, 41-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2014.04.009.
- Salvini R., Vanneschi C., Gullì D., Forchione F., Riccucci S., Francioni M., (2013) - Integration of geotechnical and remote monitoring systems for the analysis and control of ground deformation in marble quarrying (Apuan Alps, Italy). In: G. Lollino et al. (eds.), Engineering Geology for Society and Territory - Volume 5, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-09048-1_36. Book Chapter.
- Salvini R., Riccucci S., Gullì D., Giovannini R., Vanneschi C., Francioni M., (2013) - Geological application of UAV photogrammetry and terrestrial laser scanning in marble quarrying (Apuan Alps, Italy). G. Lollino et al. (eds.), Engineering Geology for Society and Territory - Volume 5, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-09048-1_188. Book Chapter.
- Vanneschi C., Burda J., }i~ka L., Eyre M., Francioni MK., Coggan J., (2017) - Improved understanding of active slope instability mechanisms in lignite operations. Submitted to 2018 International Symposium on Slope Stability in Open Pit Mining and Civil Engineering, Sevilla 2018.
- Vanneschi C., Coggan J., Mastrorocco G., Francioni M., Eyre M.L., Salvini R. (2016) - Remote sensing techniques in underground mining: Application of terrestrial LIDAR for stability analysis and optimization of excavation activities. Rend. Online Soc. Geol. It., Naples. 40, 713.
- Francioni M., Coggan J.S., Eyre M.L., Vanneschi C., Penfound-Marks L.R.G., Stead D. (2016) - A multi-scale and multi-disciplinary approach for the study and monitoring of rocky coastlines. Rend. Online Soc. Geol. It., Naples. 40, 350.
- Mastrorocco G., Vanneschi C., Salvini R., Coltorti M., Mazzurco L. (2015) - SAPR photogrammetry for the study of damaging hydrogeological events: the example of Ripa Bianca natural reserve, Esino River (Marche, Italy). Atti del V Congresso Nazionale AIGA. Cagliari, 29-30 Aprile 2015. Rend. Online Soc. Geol. It., 35, 204-207.
- Salvini R., Giovannini R., Vanneschi C., Francioni M., Stead D., Riccucci S., Gullì D., (2014) - The use of remote sensing for discontinuity mapping and analysis in a large marble quarry, Carrara, Italy. DFNE 2014, the 1st International Conference on Discrete Fracture Network Engineering, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, October 19 - 22, 2014.
- Salvini R., Mastrorocco G., Vanneschi C., Riccucci S., Francioni M., Stead D., (2014) - Excavation stability analysis in an underground marble quarry in the Apuan Alps (Italy): Application of terrestrial LIDAR, conventional methods and numerical modeling. DFNE 2014, the 1st International Conference on Discrete Fracture Network Engineering, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, October 19 - 22, 2014.
- Mastrorocco G., Salvini R., Riccucci S., Vanneschi C., (2014) - Il Lidar terrestre per la caratterizzazione degli ammassi rocciosi; i.e. "Terrestrial LIDAR for Rock-Mass characterization". GIT 2014, IX Convegno Nazionale del Gruppo di Geologia Informatica, Sezione della Società Geologica Italiana. Montefalco (Pg), 16-18 June 2014.
- Vanneschi C., Salvini R., Riccucci S., Massa G., (2013) - 3D geological modelling in support of underground mining industry. Geoitalia 2013, IX Forum di Scienze della Terra, Pisa, Italy, 16-18 September 2013. Epitome, Sessione 10, 2013, p.107. [Presenter]
- Vanneschi C., Riccucci S., Girgenti C., Salvini R., Borsani A., (2013) - Terrestrial laser scanning and digital panorama photos as support to the geological study of an underground marble quarry (Apuan Alps, Italy). Atti del IX Convegno Nazionale dei Giovani Ricercatori di Geologia Applicata. Napoli, 14-15 Febbraio 2013. Rend. Online Soc. Geol. It., 24 , 319-321.
- Francioni M., Girgenti C., Vanneschi C., (2013) - Underground quarrying industry and terrestrial laser scanning. Atti del IX Convegno Nazionale dei Giovani Ricercatori di Geologia Applicata. Napoli, 14-15 Febbraio 2013. Rend. Online Soc. Geol. It., 24, 140-142.