Dr Tinkle Chugh
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Telephone: 01392 725358
Extension: (Streatham) 5358
Office location: Laver, room 608
Hello, I am Tinkle Chugh, working as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Computer Science, University of Exeter, United Kingdom.
I am interested in working on machine learning techniques, evolutionary computation, decision making, and applications. Particularly, I focus on developing single- and multi-objective optimization methods e.g. Bayesian optimization methods using evolutionary algorithms and machine learning techniques like Gaussian processes, response surface approximation, and clustering. I apply these algorithms to real-world optimization problems e.g. from mechanical and chemical engineering. Moreover, I use expert’s (or decision maker’s) preferences in the solution process to find a single or small set of desirable (optimal) solutions.
Keywords: Bayesian optimization, Machine learning, Evolutionary computation, single, multi and many-objective optimization, surrogate-assisted optimization, data-driven optimization, and decision making
- "The BigFoot" project from Jan 2018 to April 2021 funded by National Environment Research Council (NERC) UK. The principal investigator is Prof. Peter Challenor from the University of Exeter, UK. I am working as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the project.
- "Interaction in Music Therapy for Depression" funded by Academy of Finland from Sep 2018 to Aug 2021. The principal invesigator is Dr. Martin Hartmann from University of Jyvaskyla, Finland. I will be collaborating with Martin in this project (all funding goes to the University of Jyvaskyla).
- "FiDiPro (Finland Distinguished Professor)" project "DeCoMo (Decision support for complex multiobjective optimization problems)" from Jan 2015 to Dec 2017. The project was funded by Tekes: The Finnish Funding Agency for Innovation. The FiDiPro was Prof. Yaochu Jin from University of Surrey, UK and the principal investigator was Prof. Kaisa Miettinen from the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland. I worked as a PhD student and Postdoctoral Researcher in the project.
- "Handling expensive multiple objectives with different latencies", University of Surrey, UK, April 11, 2018
- "Evolutionary Computation in Practice" Aalto University, Finland, Nov 24, 2017
Funding and Grants
- Received external funding from the Faculty of Infomation Technology, University of Jyvaskyla Finland to attend the GECCO 2018 Conference in Kyoto, Japan
- Grant for four months(September 2014 to December 2014 for my PhD studies from the Department of Mathematical Information Technology, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
- Grant for one year (September 2013 to August 2014) from COMAS Doctoral Program in Computing and Mathematical Sciences, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- Received "Best Student Paper Award " at the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Compuation (IEEE CEC) conference, San Sebastian, Spain in June 2017
Press release at the University of Jyvaskyla
Press release at the University of Surrey
- Received "Academic Excellence Award" in M.Tech from former President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
- Reviewer of journals IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Soft Computing, Applied Soft Computing, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Information Sciences, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence and conferences GECCO and IEEE SSCI.
- Visited Prof. K.C. Giannakoglou, School of Mechanical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece as a visiting researcher, Aug 22- Sep 03, 2017
- Participated in Doctoral Network Training Cruise Seminar (arranged by Prof. Ahti Salo, Aalto University School of Science) from Helsinki to Tallinn, 29-30 May, 2017
- Visited Prof. Yaochu Jin at the University of Surrey, UK as a PhD student in July-August 2016 and September-November 2015
- Participated in workshop on surrogate-assisted multi-criteria optimization (SAMCO) from Feb 29 to March 4, 2016, Leiden, Netherlands
- Participated in EURO PhD School on MCDM from Feb 17 to Feb 28, 2014, Madrid, Spain