Dr Alberto Moraglio
Telephone: 01392 726628
Extension: (Streatham) 6628
Alberto holds a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Essex (2007) and Master and Bachelor degrees (Laurea) in Computer Engineering from the Polytechnic University of Turin, Italy. Before joining Exeter as a Lecturer in Computer Science (2013), he worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Birmingham on Complexity Analysis of Evolutionary Algorithms and at the University of Kent on Genetic Programming, as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at the University of Coimbra, Portugal, and as a Researcher for HP Labs in Bristol on Multi-Agent Systems.
He is the founder of the well-known Geometric Theory of Evolutionary Algorithms (IEEE CEC tutorial slides) which unifies Evolutionary Algorithms across representations and has been used for the principled design of new successful search algorithms and for their rigorous theoretical analysis across representations.
Research interests: general principles, theory and complexity analysis, principled design, representations and operators for bio-inspired search heuristics, including genetic programming and evolutionary approaches to machine learning.
- Alberto's Google Scholar page
- Alberto's dblp computer science bibliography page
- Alberto's ReseachGate page
- Alberto's LinkedIn page
- ECM2419: Database Theory and Design
- Introduction to Natural Computation (Birmingham)
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (Coimbra)
- Databases and Data Mining (Coimbra)
- Informatic Systems (Coimbra)
- Genetic Programming and Its Applications (Essex)
- PhD studenship available to work on theory and applications of evolutionary algorithms (email me if interested)
- I am interested in supervising students with projects in Evolutionary Computation and Heuristic Optimisation
- I am looking for extremely motivated students to work on Portfolio Optimisation Problem in collaboration with Old Mutual Global Investors in the City of London
Recent activities & news:
- Co-chair of the Genetic Programming track at GECCO 2015
- New invited tutorial on "Semantic Genetic Programming" at GECCO 2015
- Co-organiser of the "2nd Workshop on Semantic Methods in Genetic Programming" at GECCO 2015
- Co-editor of the Theoretical Computer Science journal special issue on "Evolutionary Computation 2013"
- Co-editor of the Springer book "Theory and Principled Methods for the Design of Metaheuristics"
Other relevant information:
- Honorary research fellow in the ECOS group at the University of Coimbra, Portugal
- Member of the editorial board of "Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machine" journal by Springer
- Member of the IEEE CIS task force on "Theoretical Foundations of Bio-inspired Computation"
- Member of the steering committee of Evo*: the Main European Event on Bio-Inspired Computation