Dr Alma Rahat
Telephone: 01392 723913
Extension: (Streatham) 3913
I have a BEng (Hons.) in Electronic Engineering from the University of Southampton, and a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Exeter. Before starting my PhD, I worked in the electronics industry as a product development engineer. I joined the University of Exeter as a KTP Associate in 2012, and developed an energy efficient and fault tolerant routing protocol for wireless sensors in collaboration with Prof. Richard Everson and Prof. Jonathan Fieldsend. This work was extended to a PhD, and my research topic was Hybrid Evolutionary Routing Optimisation for Wireless Sensor Mesh Networks.
My current research focus is in the broad areas of fast hybrid optimisation methods, real-world problems and machine learning. In particular, I am investigating the use of surrogate-assisted optimisation approaches for expensive computational fluid dynamics design problems wihtin the project entitled Data Driven Surrogate-Assisted Evolutionary Fluid Dynamic Optimisation.
I also work on the following project.
Poetry by Numbers. The main objective of this project is to restore the Eureka Machine, a machine for generating Latin verses, which was built by John Clark in the 19th century. This machine is effectively a mechanical random number generator: one of the earliest of its kind. We are currently working on building a physical replica of the machine.
Other Relevant Information.
I am a reviewer for the following journals.
- Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- Transactions on Evolutionary Computation.
- Transactions on Mobile Computing.
I was in the program committe for the following conferences.
- Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO: 2016, 2017)
- Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA, 2016)
I was a teaching assistant for the following modules.
- ECM2424 The C Family The History and Applications of C, Objective C, C++ and C# (2014-15)
- NSC2001 Frontiers in Science 2 (2014-15)
- ECM1410 Object Oriented Programming (2014-15)
I am a member of the following professional organizations.
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET)
- Association for Computing Machinery
We organized a Workshop on Surrogate-Assisted Evolutionary Optimisation at GECCO, 2016. We are organising this workshop again at GECCO, 2017. See this website for more information.
I am also a member of the task force on Data Driven Evolutionary Optimization of Exepensive Problems.